How do I stop my mind from regretting and worrying about past mistakes from time to time?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys

I hope all is as well as can be with you all.

Recently I have been struggling to hold a level head in the sense that everyday I am moving forward with my job and studies.

The problem I am having though is trying to eliminate the regret and worries of past mistakes and people who made fun of me and hurt me, if you know what I mean.

Hope you can help.

Thanks very much for any advice given

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi adame76 i often feel this way and guilt is a major factor in my recovery. Learning to forget or forgive & regretting lots of choices over the years. I started therapy but they have now stopped it for the tym being S ths things talked about make me lots more worrysome and anxious. I was given advice by a friend to join the gym and although daunting i now love it its helping ths anti depressants on their way xx kp busy kp your mind occupied with a routine for doing something u like each day see if that helps. Psychotherapy erc may help. But its a lucky dip. Good luck, mandy x

• Posted

Thanks Mandy for your nice reply.

LI will try to get back into exercise and being more active in my free time, but what I hope to do is to try and not get soo hurt by these bad memories.

The difficult thing is to try not to ruminate when these memories pop up and get scared as this is the main issue.

Will keep you updated as well xx

• Posted

I agree. And in no way is it easy. Some of the advice I give Adams I can't use in my own life. I help others so much more easily. Yes please do keep us posted xxx good luck ;0)

• Posted

It's very hard at times to eliminate regrets in fact almost impossible as we all have past worries and regrets, what we need to do is reconcile ourselves to them as there is nothing we can do to change the past, equally those people who made fun of you and hurt you cannot do that to you now.

Try mindfulness, there is a book with an 8 week mindfulness course called Finding Peace in a Frantic World, it will help you let go of the past and be in the present. Got to be worth a go for you. In the mean time when you find yourself ruminating about past events tell yourself that it's not helpful thinking about it and try to bring your thoughts to the present. 

• Posted

I always know that it's time to start talking to the doctor again when these damned thoughts of regret, worries, and past mistakes begin to flood in. The only thing that worked for me was to go back on medication and counseling. If you're like me, your mind just doesn't work the way it's supposed to. We shouldn't have to keep beating ourselves up over stuff that happened years ago. I'm 40 years old and I still manage to feel humiliated and crushed over things that happened when I was in grade school. 

In short, your mind is screwing with you AND you are not alone. 

• Posted

How true Phillip. Im 43 & guilt for things I carry from childhood that i was unable to prevent then bullying in sch bad relationships etc just take over from tym to tym. So intrusive. The drs have finally agreed after starting councelling again the 5th lot in 20 yrs therapy just doesnt work for me xxx

• Posted

there is no way past can be changed. ups and downs are part of our existence. doing any exrcise with deep concentration is good way to strengthen mind. 

read philosophical books. entire creation is like a 3D movie as latest research in physics indicates.  be detached. just dont take it seriously. 

• Posted

ONE MUST NOT LET ONESELF BE 

OVERWHELMED BY SADNESS.

--- JACKIE KENNEDY ( 1929- 1994)

FORMER FIRST LADY OF THE U S.

• Posted

Obviously it is not easy. It is life time endeavour,

our whole system is wired to feel pain and pleasure based on type of external events. 

But then, deep exploration into reality within makes us free. 

we are not aware of our own intrinsic divine nature which is far superior to any external loss or gain. Our forgetfulness of our own inner resources makes us feel sad. 

If a drunken prince goes into the slums and, forgetting entirely his true identity, begins lamenting, “How poor I am,” his friends will laugh at him and say, “Wake up, and remember that you are a prince.”

We have been likewise in a state of hallucination, thinking we are a helpless mortal, struggling and miserable.

we seek love because our inner nature is love. 

of course, i admit need for medication, but friendship and love is real elixir. 

No matter how long it takes, it should be continued.

God bless us all. 

• Posted

Yeah I see wat u mean meds ets aren't for everyone and maybe not all the answer. But in my case love and friendship are so important always have been but when this illness strikes nothing but medication will help cure the imbalance. Just a personal view ark. Wishing u well xxx

• Posted

Hello, just following up. Hang in there, friend. 
    • Posted

Hi phillip

Thanks very Much for your nice reply.

I am trying now to focus more on positives and good things that I have done and that has happened more recently.

I just wish I didn't get so scared by remembering the bad times and the silly things I did.

For example one of the things which has scared me for years is remembering how stupid I was with my peers at school leading them to pick on me and even in one case threaten me.

Whenever I remember this, it feels like a haunting that might happen again if you know what I mean.

Hope to hear soon and thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.