How do I stop this acid rebound??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last week and the week the before i was taking dexilant 30 mg. but not daily . I only took it a few days and I was halfing it by putting half in capsules. I can literally count the times I took it. Now, this week I've been having excessive saliva and acid and nothing I seem to do will stop it. Saliva all day long...

Anyone have any suggestions of what to do to rid myself of this acid rebound?

May I add That this is the very reason that I didn't want to take it because I get too many side effects with it. Ugggh!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

acid rebound just has to pass unfortunatley, if you take anything to mask it, that just prolongs it and makes it worse.  sometimes things like gaviscon can be used, as they form a barrier, but generally, just wait it out.  It shouldnt cause a problem for too long
    • Posted

Is it possible to have a acid rebound if only taking the PPI for a short time and only a few , not even a whole week?

Would zantac help or make it worse?

The thing is I can feel the acid in my stomach and I don't want my gastritis to flare up again.

• Posted

rebound isnt really a side effect, its just your bodies response as it trys to equalise itself - just one of those things
  • Posted

taking them intermittently like that is actually how you get rebound, the on and off effect makes them worse.  its better to take them regularly then slowly taper off them to minimise the effect
    • Posted

Do I get back on or do i just wait it out?

I was following my herbalist advice to not take anymore.

• Posted

id rather follow the advice of a trained dr to a herbalist who has no training that can be quantified to be honest.  its really up to you, it will pass in time but will be uncomfortable.  I would return to the gp, go back on the meds and follow his advice, then if he agrees that you should stop them then again follow his instruction to taper them slowly, then any discomfort should be minimal
    • Posted

The dexilant was making me very weak and muscle aches, as a matter of fact most of the PPI's that I've tried was giving me too many side effects.

The dr. told me to take for 2 weeks either way it may have been the same. She never told me to taper off.

Though some have told me that it could just be hormonal when going through perimenopause acid reflux is definitely a popular sympton. Hopefully it's just that. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.