How do I support my partner with anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have being seeing my partner for 6 months. He suffers from anxiety. He can get very scared and suffer from chest discomfort. At these moments have you any advice on words I can say to help.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Whenever he has one just get him to lay down sleep is the best thing for panic attacks. Thats why i sleep about 50-60% of the day. Anywho..just be supportive it really means a lot even if it may not seem so. Its just hard to appreciate things when your mind is thinking irrational. Remember just be supportive it really makes things easier.
    • Posted

Thank you, I feel I am, but sometimes I wonder do I say the right things to him. We ly down when he panics and gets upset. He s not a great sleeper.
  • Posted

Hi Deirdre

Everyone has different tips.

Anxiety thrives off fear exercise is best.

Distract himself when he has an attack

A good diet and keep hydrated

Sometimes acid reflux is a big thing in anxiety

I take meds for that and I get the chest tightness and pins and needles.

Has he considered therapy?

• Posted

He has gone to therapy and has just finished a recent course in coping with panic and anxiety. But this weekend was hard on him. He is a runner. I'll try the acid reflux point, I'm meeting him later. I just felt fairly helpless for him.
    • Posted

If he has been to therapy he will probably know panic/anxiety happens because a switch in your brain is broken and you constantly think you are in danger when your not.

You have to constantly reassure yourself and do everything you can to help yourself

Stay Strongcry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.