How do I talk to someone about being depressed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a very introverted person by nature and I don't ever really talk about my feelings. Which is fine because I can usually handle them on my own, but I am very depressed right now and have been getting progressively worse, it's getting too heavy for me to handle. I feel like I really need to talk to someone about it, I don't think anyone even knows that I'm depressed because I don't outwardly seem it but inside I'm in total turmoil. I just don't know who to speak to or what I would even say. How do you tell someone that you are so deeply unhappy? How do you tell someone about not wanting to be alive without freaking them out and getting them worried? I feel really ****ing selfish and ungrateful for feeling this way and I don't want others to have that view of me and I don't want to burden anyone with all this.

Anyone who's had experience approaching someone about being depressed and could give me some advice would be greatly appreciated

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danny

It's really not easy but you've already made the first step knowing you need help and that is one of the hardest things to do.  You are not on your own feeling you can't talk to anyone, apparently it's worse for guys to talk about it.  My husband has been pretending he's okay for months we've seen him go down hill because he isn't delaing with it, he's left us, gone to live elsewhere and now quit his job so he's lost everything but nothing we can do because he won't seek help.

I urge you to go to your GP, please don't feel alone there are millions of people going through the same thing've you described,   I've been there with anxiety and panic attacks I felt like a burden but beleive me you are not and remember yourfamily love you and friends who are worth anything will be there for you no matter what.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi danny07958,

I am sorry to hear about how you are feeling at the present time,

I myself am dealing with really bad depression at the moment, I was once confident and fairly happy but over the years due to things happening in my personal life I have become depressed and very introverted. I find it difficult meeting new people and I don`t enjoy anything really in my life anymore. I have moved about 6 months ago and joined a new doctors and he has been very helpful with my health problems and my depression, I saw someone he referred me to this week and talking to someone about my problems helped me feel like I am not going mad and that I just need some help and support to get me back on track. The person I saw was like an assessor to see what mental health help I needed. I have to see them again in two weeks and we have already discussed some things that can be done to help me already. So I felt more positive than I had done in such a long time just having someone listen and empathise with me and try and help me get back my life again.  My advice would be make an appointment with your GP and ask if they can give you a referral to speak to someone in your local mental health team, it will not be a quick fix but hopefully speaking to them would put you on the right path and you can then start enjoying your life again. I hope things work out for you. Take care and all the best. =)

• Posted

Hi Danny your not alone going through this although it feels like it at thiis time depression affects so many people at some time of their lives we just have to recognise the signs and seek help quickly or it takes over everything, you try your best to act normal around people but you just feel so alone all the time sometimes it's hard to mix with anyone you just shut yourself away I think men really find it harder to discuss their feelings with friends because once you have opened up you feel as if friends will not know what to say to you, you might find they have experienced something similar. Either way it's time to seek some professional help make an appointment with your doctor and try to be as honest as you can with how bad you are feeling right now this does not go away on its own you will need medication and some kind of counselling, the medication takes two to four weeks to start working so don't expect an instant fix this could go on for six months before you start to feel like you again. I remember when I first started medication I thought it would be like general medication you would start to feel better in a few days, if only it was that simple as most people don't go to the doctors until they are so ill it's a last resort perhaps if we went as soon as we started to feel like this it might not get to this stage where you feel there's nothing left in life for you, you feel useless and powerless to change the way you feel. Anything to do with mental health issues is so frightening as there is such a stigma surrounding this you feel embarrassed to mention this to anyone but you have to try to get beyond that way of thinking and ask for help and support as you cannot do this alone.

Take care

• Posted

I know this is really late seeing as thus was written in may but I know exactly how you feel I've always been able to deal with my emotions by myself except for lately the best thing that I found to do is to talk to a doctor really see what they can do to maybe help with medications to restabilize you or talk to a psychiatrist one of the two anything that'll help get rid of the emotions without being judged by those around you if you're talking to somone like a shrink they're being paid not to judge youbso it may helo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.