How do I tell my parents I think I have cancer?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi! I’m a teenager who had a lump on the knee for 5 months and has been experiencing aches around that knee and higher up in the leg. I can’t exactly pinpoint a location. In the last 24 hours the aches have gotten sharper. Bone cancer pain is supposed to get worse over time, so I’m convinced that’s what it is. 

I know I have to tell my parents about this ASAP. I just don’t know how. What type of approach should I use? And how do I convince the doctor that I need it scanned? And lastly, how do I deal with seeing my loved ones reactions to my potential diagnosis?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My suggestion is to tell one of your parents and suggest a complete blood count. It could be a multitude of things causing it. Your doctor will tell you if you need further testing. Take everyone's input - but make your own decisions. The doctors do not have the final say - you do. If it turns out serious, get a second opinion. I had 19 oncologists and 19 blood transfusions before I beat my blood cancer. Stop looking at things like it's a death sentence. Jesus is the Great Physician. Get Him involved.Take care - Quihadi (kwe-ha-dee).

• Posted

Your over reacting it's no the cancer. It's very unlikely you have cancer at your age. Now I don't know what your family history is with cancer, but if your family has a history.. I still wouldn't be worried about it. You may have just bumped it on something and are stressing over nothing about it. Wish the best to you and good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Milky,

​As a parent, you need to tell your parents about the lump and pain in your knee.  I would be very upset with my children if they had a concern and did not tell me about.  Just tell them, mom and dad, I have had a lump in my knee for the last 5 months. It hurts, but lately it has been getting worse.  I am concerned and I think I need to see a doctor.  Let the doctor diagnose you.  Self diagnosis is not a good idea.  Let the doctors conduct their tests and come to their own conclusions.  

​I believe that Jesus can heal you.  I am not sure of your faith, but Jesus is a healer and I have witnessed many miracles.  Pray in the name of Jesus.

​Let us know what happens.  Take care and God Bless!

• Posted

Hi. First things first. Self diagnosis is not very reliable, only a doctor can tell you what is wrong, if anything, with your leg. Secondly, by delaying getting a proper diagnosis, you're not only putting yourself under undue stress by worrying about something that may not need worrying about, but, if there should be something wrong you are delaying treatment. As a parent I know how upset I would be if my child had been worrying themselves silly rather than coming to me for advice. Trust me, your parents will take this in their stride and make sure that you get any help that you may need. Go to them and tell them that you have had a painful lump on your knee for a while now and could they help you get it sorted out. They won't hesitate! Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi. My suggestion is to explain your parents everything about your pain in knee without any fear. Only your parent can understand you completely about your feeling. Then you need to consult the doctor and completely understand your diagnosis.
  • Posted

I am in no way trying to scare you, but you absolutely need to get it checked out. And if you still feel unsure, get a second opinion. One of my close friends had the same issue, but in her arm. Doctors kept brushing it off and brushing it off for a whole year, and 4 months ago it turned out to to be stage 3 synovial sarcoma. And to the person who said that cancer is rare in people your age, that is very inaccurate and rude to say. You obviously haven’t heard of osteosarcoma. 

Like I said, I am not trying to scare you but please get it checked out. 

• Posted

My initial reaction was

It is your knee, why would cancer be in your knee?

I could be wrong of course but

It may not be cancer

Have you noticed other symtoms like

General weakness, night sweats

I have no experience with this either way

But cancer is very serious and your right

It could be in your leg

Best to have certain tests done

Like platelet and wbc count

If these are high, you could have an infection

Or cancer

Lastly, have you travelled anywhere

You want to rule out tropical diseases as well

All the best

• Posted

Dear milky7973, you should calmly and completely honestly tell them about your lump on the knee. Don't say the word CANCER. Just ask them to go to the doctor ASAP and a doctor will determine the exact cause of your pain for sure without your suggestions for further analysis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.