How do i test for b12 anemia in private lab

Posted , 2 users are following.

My question is what kind of blood analysis i need to take to make sure i dont have b12 deficiency anemia

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.... simple blood work is generally the usually procedure to determine if indeed your B12 is low. If it is established that it is then your doctor should want to know why that is happening. The doctor will sometimes order a shilling test to determine if you are able to absorb B12. This test is done by the doctor administrating a B12 shot and then over a 24 hour  period you will collect your urine in a sterile vessel provided by your doctor. That urine will be tested to note how much of that shot you retained. If you retained very little your intrinsic factor is likely not functioning properly; at that point you may require monthly injections of B12.
    • Posted

Do those standard blood test check for b12 anemia ?Cause i did them a lot of times and they doctors told me im fine.
  • Posted

Your doctor should indicate on your requisition that B12 levels are to be tested, it won't automatically be part of your blood work up. Be sure to ask that B12 tested be added otherwise it may not be done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.