How do I tie my shoe laces after a Total hip replacement?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Guys

I read that bending can lead to the dislocation of a hip prostethesis so how the heck is one meant to tie up one's laces please?   At the moment I am 'nursing' a twenty year old compromised hip replacement and waiting for a revision and having extreme difficulty dealing with laces!

Cheers

Richard

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't forget you will (hopefully) have one good hip which you CAN bend and therefore bring the good leg/foot up to you when you are sitting. The other shoe options I should try out  before the op.

As far as swimming goes after the op. I did a lot of walking in the pool forward, back, sideways and also used a woggle (noodle) tube to sit astride and cylce but careful with right angle. I also used a float clenched between my knees and did back crawl arms. Over several months Ii introduced a gentle kick and now at 7 months am not useing the float at all but not kicking too vigorously. SOme of this you may be able to do now.

• Posted

Many thanks Mary for taking the time to respond. I have taken note of all of your suggestions. I tried the sock aid thing this morning so that is one small step forward.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Morning Richard! Yup the elastic shoe laces are the way to go. They come in colors too. Only thing, for me, is the tongue of shoe gets pushed in and I need someone to pull it out once shoe is on. I've tried using the grabber to help pull it out but doesn't always work. Other option are the shoes that are backless and u slip your foot right on in. I had to wear crocks for a time as my operated foot was swollen. Hope all goes well for and wish you a speedy recovery! 🤓 LD

• Posted

Dear Linda

Thanks for your guidance, I feel so much better prepared with all the suggestions and support. What a difference the internet makes!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,  I was advised to wear slip on shoes for a while.  This really worked out well for me for the first couple of months.
  • Posted

Richard

Re swimming. It is probably just me but I can't move my operated hip very far sideways and if I do it hurts. So I don't do breast stroke legs, but it may not be a problem for you.

Mike

• Posted

Mike,

I couldn't do the breast stroke leg movement prior to my surgery without excrutiating pain.  It took about 3-4 months after my surgery before I could rotate my leg sideways pain free.  The pain after the surgery came from the healing muscles and tissue around the hip. 

Kim 

• Posted

Kim,

My surgeon thinks that after he's done this revision I may have more movement that before. So perhaps swimming becons in a few months.

Mike

• Posted

Mike,

That sounds about right.  Best of luck on your revision.  I'm sure you'll do wellsmile

Kim

• Posted

Thanks Michael.   I did not have any discomfort but felt that it my have ccontributed to my hip failure.

Good luck with your reccovery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Go with the elastic laces and a long shoe horn - I have been using this even before  as I am one of these people who can never keep my laces tied. I used to run my dog in agility and you just can't have your laces come undone all the time. Now that I need a new hip they work fantastic

• Posted

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I've already got some coming and am looking forward to using them.

Btw what breed of dog did you use for your agility work?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

She is a little mutt - an accident between a schnauzer and cocker spaniel - she is more terrier than anything else that is how we ended up in agility, she just had to move all the time. It changed my life, I loved every minute of it as did she, and we both miss it terribly, hopefully we can get back  after the surgery
    • Posted

Ah, I'm sure you will both be back competing sooner than you imagine at the moment. It is amazing how stimulating a dog can be to recovery.

I've never gone down the agility route but my sheep dogs would respond to about 25-30 different commands. I miss them all terribly.

Cheers Richard

PS the elastic laces you suggested arrived today and they are going to be a great help...thanks for your suggestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.