How do I tie my shoe laces after a Total hip replacement?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Guys

I read that bending can lead to the dislocation of a hip prostethesis so how the heck is one meant to tie up one's laces please?   At the moment I am 'nursing' a twenty year old compromised hip replacement and waiting for a revision and having extreme difficulty dealing with laces!

Cheers

Richard

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Use slip-ons immediately after THR, but after about 12 weeks you should be allowed (and eventually able) to tie shoelaces.  It feels like a major milestone, and should be celebrated as such cheesygrin

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Golly so many helpful suggestions Graham and Maureen thanks and thanks to anyone I've missed but I've read them all! Thanks Richard

• Posted

I tie my laces before putting them on - tying the loosely enough to be able to be able to slip them on. It took a little trial and error to get the right ;evel of tightness, and it varies with different thickness socks, but works ok for me.

On a related topic, has anyone successfully used one of those sock gadgets?!  Perhaps it is beacuse my feet are a bit wide, but the tool just does not work for me. Luckily now, 10 days post-op, I can now get my toes into the sock on the floor, and then bend my leg backwards at the knee, and reach behind to pull the sock on.

• Posted

Nick

I had difficulty making the one I got from the NHS work. I've bought (for my op on 22/03) an Etac long socky aid. That, with socks that aren't too tight, works for me. My size 11(UK) feet don't help, nor do my 36inch legs!

Mike

• Posted

Thanks Mike. The NHS in my area didn't supply anything for socks, but the hospital recommended that I buy a 'Soxon' which is what I have. From looking online it looks to be a similar principal to the Etac. The Soxon though is comparatively bulky and fluffy and as well as being very tight around the foot, it offers a lot of friction against the foot that foils the required pulling action. The Etac looks smoother and a lot less cumbersome so I may give it a go!  Thanks. Nick

• Posted

Hi Mike, thanks again for directing me to the Etac Socky. One arrived today and it works wonderfully compared to the Soxon, so no more contorted and risky sock manoeuvres for me now!  biggrin

• Posted

Don't do it! Do t risk it buy slip ins if you have to. The risk and trauma of dislocation is too much. Hang on in there Richard

Julie

• Posted

I resorted to Crocs, cheap and nasty ones, so i could change colour if and when i felt like it, and cost didn;t come into it, now wear all the time they are so comfortable.

Even wore in the hospital in place of slippers, but I am in Australia so we don;t have the serious cold and snow to contend with.

Laces are out of question for probably the first 3 - 4 months, you do not want to dis-locate, having come close, the pain was off the scale worse than the hip replacement, minor twist 10 days after surgery, not a good idea at all. 

Discussed with surgeron at checkup, and he said I was lucky it did not completly dis-locate, but he agreed I had come a little close for comfort.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I find it strange but I do not recall any large problem twenty years ago when I had the hip done doing my laces up. I have however a vague memory of finding putting on my socks !

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thanks Julie for those insightful words<G> What with the hip failing and waiting for a revision of my four year old ankle replacement I'm feeling quite fragile at the moment but trying to remain positive.

I'm concerned that I have had to give up my recent form of exercise swimming which I took up to replace walking. I had built it up to swimming over half a mile every other day and now all I'm doing is going around on crutches!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Judith

Thanks for asking. I’m hoping to see my local G P in the morning to discuss the situation.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Good. Keep on at them, you need your hip sorting out. The sooner the better....
    • Posted

Thanks for your encouragement! The back story is this. Last Saturday morning I tried to get to my feet after kneeling down for a few minutes to put a few young plants into a pot outside and I had an almighty pain in,my hip together with a feeling of stuff being ground up and a matching sound too.

Dragged myself inside and tried to relax then tried to stand up but the pain was too much so rang the emergency NHS help line and the call went through. To the local hospital who quickly sorted out a paramedic response who eventually turned up with an ambulance and took me to the local hospital. I was there waiting for much of the time for two x-rays then later for a third one. They concluded but were not certain that the poly cup that the ball of the joint goes into had failed.

They had me try applying weight by standing up then had me walk up and down A+E which although uncomfortable I managed with a doctor at my side. The net,result was I was cleared to be discharged though they were a little concerned as I live alone.

I slowly made my way out of hospital and rang a taxi firm and was back home some time later. When I walked to my front door I had horrible squeaking

• Posted

Oops message uploaded in error...to continue. The squeaking was something new and felt really horrible! After getting up the next day and her finding a stick or crutches but not having either I rang the emergency number and to my surprise found myself speaking to one of the doctors from my local doctors surgery who was doing duty there that week.

She was horrified that I had been discharged and without a proper plan of action and no crutches. She asked if someone could drive over to collect some to which I said I would! Lucky that I have an automatic and that my usable leg is my right one.

Soo it is this doctor I am going to try to see on Monday as it is her first day back and I feel that she is very much on my side. She is one of the most senior doctor in the practice and should be best placed to get some action.

One problem is that as I've recently moved to a different part of the UK my notes were not available to the hospital when I was admitted so they had no idea which hip prostethis I have and were therefore unable to do anything long term for me. I hope that they have been able to get the necessary information but in the meantime I've spoken to my surgeon's secretary from twenty years ago to warn her about the need for the information and to get the information for my use. I rang her again on Friday but had to leave a message and I have done a lot of searching to find a surgeon within striking distance with a good record of having plenty of experience of hip revision surgery as none of the surgeons at my local hospital according to the hospital records seem to have had much revision experience and as it seems that revision surgery is far less straightforward experience is very desirable!

Well there we are. Apologies for having written a load of stuff but hopefully it will be of interest to someone.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Follow up, I see that I made a number of typos but hopefully you will be able to get the gist of this. So easy to make errors on a smart phone!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

That was a bit of luck, (you need some!) that a senior doctor from your practice was at the other end of the phone. Hopefully she will now fight your corner. I wish you all the best, and hope they can track down your original records, and get your revision done. In the meantime, take care.
    • Posted

Dear Judith

Thanks for your posting. I have high hopes that I will be able to get things moving in the morning

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Judith

Had a useful meeting this morning with the doctor regarding my failed hip replacement. She was very impressed that I had taken the trouble to research the va

• Posted

Oops apologies for the premature posting. As I was saying she was very impressed that I had taken the trouble to properly research who looked to be the best surgeon to carry out the work and she agreed with my choice and said that she would today refer me to that person as a matter of urgency. So there we are the effort seems to have paid off but I cannot help wondering if my recent swimming using the breaststroke triggered the hip failure as it could be considered to stress the joint. Thoughts most welcome in case we can all learn from this!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard, I was told authoritively somewhere along the way pre-op that I would need to avoid any breast stroke with the artificial hip. This did not bother me unduly, as I had been avoiding it for 20 years with the old hip for similar reasons!
    • Posted

Hi Richard, thanks so much for letting me know, I've been wondering how you got on. I hope you get sorted out quickly. Re swimming, my surgeon is ok with breast stroke swimming, but maybe if your hip was getting very worn, it was just too much for it.

• Posted

Dear Judith

Thanks for those reassuring words. I use the traditional leg action which on reflection has the potential for stressing a replacement hip joint. Here is what wa written from the hospital

• Posted

Dear Judith

Thanks for those sensible words..makes some sense. It would be very galling to think that whilst trying to keep fit for my impeding ankle revision surgery I had been instrumental in damaging my hip!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thanks Nick for that. Perhaps I should have checked first but I was always under the impression that swimming could only be a good thing!

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.