How do I treat a trapped nerve in my arm?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was doing the bench press at the gym three days ago when this ache along my arm begun and gradually became worse as I progressed through the exercise. It wasn't too painful at the time, more of a discomfort, but it became painful immediately after trying to do some pushups yesterday. The pain is much more severe around the elbow but much of it radiates from the shoulder to the hand. This injury also makes my arm feel weak and slightly numb right after doing any pushing movement, although the pain is relieved whilst at rest.

I've never experienced this type of injury before so I'm not too sure what it is, but after a bit of googling it sounds as if I have a trapped nerve.

How do I get rid of this pain as fast as possible? Is this worth seeing a GP about?

Huge thanks for your responses.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HELLO, is the pain going to your pinkie and ring finger? Or the inner part of your arm and peck?

• Posted

Hi,

I may have felt the pain as far up to my pinkie when it is severe enough and it can be felt mostly throughout the inner part of my arm. The pain can't be felt in my pec at all but I have felt it slightly deep within my rotator cuff muscles.

• Posted

Hi, YES, run dont walk to your dr but I encourage you to see a neuroligist who has the better knowledge re nerves. You might be at great risk for dibilitating outcomes and I want you to consider no activity until you know for sure what us going on. I have nerve damage from an injury from high school which progressed to chronic disabiling chronic pain. It has changed my life and influenced my husband and family. You now have the task to fight for your health and lifestyle and you will need to be assertive with your Drs to get the care and outcome you seek. Get going and find out whats going on, if it is bad news you will be on top of it to fight for the best outcome and if its good news you can go forward with the best knowledge to continue your life as you like. My best wishes are with you!

• Posted

I would see your doctor to verify if you have a trapped nerve rather than googling your symptoms which can cause anxiety and give inaccurate answers. If the nerve is trapped, you may be advised to rest it for a period of time. Nerves sometimes heal but it depends on how bad the injury was. Numbness suggests it could be nerve related. Your doctor will be able to tell you if that is the case.

I have nerve injuries in both arms and hands.I fell on my elbow twenty to forty years ago and it damaged the ulnar nerve. The other arm was injured due to a blood test. Unfortunately, the damage done was too severe for either to heal and my pain numbness and tingling is permanent and made worse by cold, damp weather but hot weather gets rid of my symptoms. However, it is only a temporary fix because there is no cure for neuralgia. The neuropathy keeps coming back.

• Posted

Hi Mattied you could try chiropractor or osteopath, if you have one near that is good, these two professions I have used before for all manner of bone and soft tissue issues, and have always found great relief fairly fast. Doctors want to give you pills and perhaps physiotherapy, but with the constraints these days on the NHS you might be in for a long wait.......Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Posted

Be very careful about chiropractors. Their treatments are extremely harsh and can make existing problems far worse. My chiropractory and deep tissue massage triggered intense pain and burning in my spine and left me with nine months of symptoms of pain and exhaustion all over my body. It contributed to me developing IBS because of all the stress. Some people far better on conventional painkillers; I wish I had tried painkillers instead. There is very little evidence that chiropractory works, so personally I wouldn't take the risk. It can cause severe side effects and in my view is not a natural treatment and can seriously work against the body. Please do all the research you can; I didn't do this and paid the price.

• Posted

I'm with Peony when she says to see a neurologist.

I had pain in the shoulder that radiated to my arm and I could barely lift it.

So, yes I had a problem, but no, it was not caused like your problem.

Pain was unbearable. Lifting the blanket over me at night was impossible.

Saw the neuro. She Rx'd lyrica which specifically treats nerve pain.

A day later pain improved big time.

BUT I did not use the arm like I did before the pain, for some weeks.

If you are Rx'd lyrica or similar, and feel good in 1-2 days DO NOT return to

anything strenuous for a while. Or you'll spend a LONG time trying to get rid of the pain.

• Posted

So glad all is well now, the reason that I gave you info about chiropractic and osteopathic treatment, is because both these disciplines have kept me on my feet . I am now in my late 7o's still going strong because of their treatment over the years. So don't believe all the stories you hear about them, a good one is worth his/her weight in gold.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.