how do we know if the ringworm treatment is working??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, can someone please let me know what are the healing signals of the ringworm? If the treatment it's working, the ringworm is supposed to shrink in size or rather gradually fade away? If somebody who had/has it, I would highly appreciate if someone clarifies me this doubt. Thanks in advance.

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

https://patient.info/health/ringworm-tinea-corporis

Have you read this leaflet?  It gives you an idea of time frames.

Sometimes if you have been given cream & it doesn't work, you might need to take something sytemic.  It explains everything in the leaflet.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, thank you so much for the article, it has good information and was useful for me in some aspects, but about the healing process it didn't take my doubts. I know this fungi infection takes a little long to heal, but what I would like to know is if the ringworm patch is supposed to shrink in size as the treatment progress, or any other tips indicating a successful treatment ... Thank you so much!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, in my case the itching and the redness gradually subsided. The circular skin rash did not shrink. Most anti-fungals used in creams interfere with the metabolism of the fungi and do not kill fungi instantly. I remember it took about 2-3 weeks to get rid of the infection.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi, in my case, I have no itching (lucky me). at the beginning it was smaller and I taught it was an eczema or allergy so I tried to treat it with tea tree oil, but it seems to irritate more and turn it reddish, I gave up on the oil and used an eczema cream. The patch continued to expand and formed the ring, so I'm now using a cream with10mg clotrimazol. The size didn't reduce yet, but the colour looks paler, not red, it's brownish and pinkish when it's hotter. Looks like the circles are fading a little and seems like isn't growing anymore, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to shrink, or if it just stops expanding and slowly vanish into the skin. I'm really worried because I don't want it to spread all over me or anybody else. I did a lot of research on the internet about the ringworm healing process, but I found almost nothing, thank you so much for your help, have a nice day!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was very interested to see various comments about ringworm.

My ringworm started 10 months ago and was prescribed various creams until 2 weeks ago. Then I was prescribed oral terminating. Thankfully I have not experienced any of the side effects others on this site have experienced. To date, there has been no improvement in the inflamed area. Getting really fed up with it as it is affecting my life in a negative way.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi!! Sorry about that you're passing through, i really hope you can get better soon! Even though this isn't anything dangerous, i't still so annoying. My biggest fear was if it would spread to another parts of my body or another people around. This added a huge amount of stress on me. hope wee'll get out of this as soon as possible! ... I'm not a doctor nor a nurse, but I believe mine appeared when my immune system was a little bit down, so now I'm eating better, taking some vitamins and drinking more water to boost my immune system a little more, as this is crucial to heal and recover from anything. I also apply the topical cream several times a day, fortunately I'm getting better.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My neice has ring worms all around her as of this day. I didn't think much of it at first because in my mind it started as red patches and not rings so I started to put Cortizone. I wasn't knowledgeable to know how it started to look like before it starting showing the red rings. Then the school called me and told me she had rings all over her legs and they were ring worms and she had to stay home all weekend. To return on Monday and they will check it and if had gotten somewhat clear by then she will be able to return to school. She also instructed me to use athlete's door cream and/or athlete's foot powder. So I bought both from the dollar store. I have her take a shower twice a day and apply the cream in the morning, buy at night I use the powder. Also I always use gloves. I put her dirty clothes in a separate bag and automatically straight into the laundry room. Anyways, after I applied the cream the first day I noticed her skin started to peel (which is normal) and get a little clear after checking it the next morning. Still there were some rediness and rings in some places but, mostly pinkish in most places. That's how I know it was taking affect on a fast time frame. I have been using it for 2 days now and her skin is peeling even heavier. Which was even more excellent because now it was defiantly less or non contagious within the 2 days of use of the athlete's door cream and powder. She will be okay to return to school on Monday and stay. Within 2 weeks to a month she will be okay and probably ring worm free infected, but those rings will look pail and/or pinkish (not red) in due time. It's like a bruise that takes time to heal up to be unnoticeable, but more or a slower process. You could also try "Apple Cider Vinegar" Well I hope this is helpful. Let me know how it goes or went if you still are having ring worms. Good luck! ??????

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up