How do you approach depression with a GP?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey guys, 

I've never posted on a forum before, let alone about something so personal but here we go anyway, hopefully it'll help. 

I've been struggling an awful lot with life, I spend all day lying in bed because facing the world seems so difficult, I never go in to Uni anymore and my grades have gone downhill - which is a massive shame especially as I am in my third and final year. I isolate myself from all my friends and housemates, I feel so low all of the time and I have been self harming because - even though this may sound odd - self harm is the only thing I seem to do that feels productive (even though I am aware it isn't). 

I know why I feel this way, I was raped in November and although I convinced myself that I would be perfectly fine after a few weeks, I'm really not. I have finally come to a point where I want to seek help from my GP but I have absolutely no idea how to start the conversation - do I discuss the abuse first, the self harm, the depression and how would I even lead into that conversation? 

All I know is that I want to move forward but the thought of seeing my gp is terrifying me. I did once open up to a friend of mine about what was going on but I felt absolutely no relief whatsoever, instead I felt ashamed and embarrassed for opening up even though this friend was lovely about everything. Will seeing my gp help or will I just end up running out of there screaming?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Fee,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (well minus the rape). Im in my second year at uni and my depression is having the same effect on my studies.

I had felt depressed for about 3 years before I went to see my gp about 2 months ago and when i told him what was going on he was shocked and wanted to know why it had taken me so long to get help....and like you probably feel, i replied that because it wasn't something you can see I felt a bit silly going to the doctors and saying I feel down. He was really good though and made me feel totally comfortable. He gave me all the relevant numbers for crisis teams, made me an appointment with the mental health team for counselling and also prescribed me Citalopram which are really helping.

I'm not the best person at voicing how I feel and when I get sat in front of someone and I'm nervous everything goes out of my head so before my appointment I made a list of everything Ive been feeling and symptoms ive been having and just gave them to him to read when i got there. Made the appointment so much easier and everything got covered.

Really all I can say is if your GP is good then they should help you and make you feel relaxed and open to talk. I hope it goes well when you go. Just bite the bullet and get there....dont leave it 3 years like I did because it just gets worse and trying to cope alone doesn't work.

Emma xxx

• Posted

Hey!

I'm really glad you went to seek help from your GP, three years is a long time! It's horrible feeling like this with Uni on top of everything, definitely adds to the stress of life - hopefully your Uni are helpful if you are struggling, especially in terms of deadlines as it can be so hard to get everything done. 

It seems as though writing notes would be a really good idea, I usually avoid Drs because I'm not too great with them in general so when I get there I probably would just forget absolutely everything. 

You're definitely right though, putting it off is probably the worst thing to do - thank you for your advice and support and I'm glad you are now getting the help you deserve! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.