How do you cope on Holiday with ME/CFS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondered how other people cope with the family holiday. Being out of your normal routines and in a new place perhaps. What do you put in place to help you cope?

Being at home knackered is one thing but being in a caravan, apartment or hotel etc. is much different. Having to be mobile and do holiday stuff with the kids, can and is an overload for my system. Do you avoid going away because of things like this or is it just me?

The last 10-day holiday we took has taken me 4 months to get over! (Moreover, I was still feeling rough after 4 months…) I know I am lucky to be able to grab a family holiday, but I do wonder at times, if it’s more harm than good taking a holiday with ME/CFS.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, due to real pain and exhausion problems our holiday has got to be within 40mins distance from our house.  Last year we went 45mins and it took me 3days of the holiday to recover (so stuck in the caravan). thankfully it gave me a chance of living on one floor (our home is a house, so a break from the stairs).  Unfortunately I have the symptom of ME/CFS where my body can't tolerate heat.  This was a huge problem eating out in the evenings cos I would over heat.  I did take a little hand held air-con fan which helped a bit.

This year we are having a week in a caravan 35mins away ish.  We will also be taking my car cos my car the seating position is more like a dining chair rather than hubby's which is lower with legs more out front.

We also own a sea-side chalet which is 30mins away. We go for weekends and a week at Easter there. That's nice with proper sofas and beds. x

• Posted

Hi julie

Glad to hear you are managing to get a break from the house. i have been just 10 miles away in a caravan in a "basic" field and had a great time, like you it was a change for struggling with stairs. I struggle with the travel inns type of places as you need to be out of the room for the cleaners etc, thats when we tend to go somewhere and I overdo it :-(

• Posted

I'd hate to have to go out for cleaners.  It was tough having a 7 day holiday and 3 days stuck in, even the days out were only half days within a 10 mile radius.  However, we look back and got a summer holiday. It's important when the kids are only 9 & 6yrs old.  I've offered to stay home so hubby and his Mum with the kids can go further, especially abroad.  They've all said it wouldn't be a holiday without me.  They'd rather stay close and have me there, even if I can't join them each day out and about.  At least I know I was there and I got a break from these hard work stairs! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.