How do you cope with Christmas?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I'm feeling absolutely shattered at the moment and feel totally overwhelmed by the prospect of Christmas. Even just thinking about writing cards, wrapping presents, putting up tree, extra food shopping, extra visits to friends/relatives etc makes me feel really stressed. I don't know where I'm going to get the extra energy from to do it all. Hope does everyone else cope with it? Does anyone have have tips to make it easier?    

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here's my list, Elaine: I shop online.  I also buy gift cards.  I don't  host Christmas any longer.  I don't go to my kids' house unless one of them comes to get me and  one of them always does.  I contribute to buying the turkey/ham/whatever instead of taking prepared food to our family gathering.  I send cards to only a few people.  Wrapping presents takes me a couple of days. I keep decorating my house to a minimum and only with the help of one of my children. At the family gathering,  I excuse myself and lie down to rest when I have to. My kids understand.  Finally, I am the elderly lady sitting on a comfortable chair or sofa and my kids and grandkids come to me for talks. Mainly, I forgive myself for not being able to do all the things I used to do.  Oh, and I have learned to ask for help when I need it. That's my list. Do I ever feel like a slacker?  Well...maybe sometimes...but not for more than a few minutes.  And yes, I always have a lovely Christmas and hope you do, too.

• Posted

Sounds like you are very organised and have worked out how to have a good Christmas without exhausting yourself. I gave up on hosting the dinner too. I tried it a couple of times and both times I ended up too tired to eat the dinner I'd made and had to lie down and was shattered for weeks afterwards so it's not worth it. Now I see people before and after Christmas and just make phone calls in the morning on the day to close family and then spend the rest of the day relaxing with my husband so I'm not under any pressure. It's so much easier just to cook a nice meal for two then eat lots of chocolate!! Hope you have a fantastic day!!! 

• Posted

I simply have accepted that every year will be different. From decorations to food and family visiting. Usually I did all the work with my hubs help. We are both past doing much. So when family comes they change their beds and fix up the decoration that they want and help with food do shopping.

just don't have the energy to even worry about it any more.🎄I enjoy xmas a little bit less each year do shopping over internet.I  just use gift bags for gifts and cut down shopping for presents and give cash or gift cards. 🎅

Its no no big deal I paid my dues over many years, and my health is more important that being stuck in bed for weeks due to over doing things. 👍

It it tough enough some days to just get moving! 😊

• Posted

You are so right, hope4cure, when you say that health "is more important than being stuck in bed for weeks due to over doing things."  I've found that anything, I mean anything that is out of the ordiinary daily puttering through life with CFS brings on a stinking flare that takes weeks to get over.  I've learned how to cut back a lot, but I haven't hit the place where I can keep from getting overly tired from the crowd of family who gather and the three-hour car trip to get to that crowd of family.  But, it's worth it.  I spend so much time alone now, that I refuse to give up going to family gatherings as long as someone in my family doesn't mind coming to get me.  I live alone, and CFS adds to isolation.

So even if I know I have to pay a price, it's worth it to me.

• Posted

Isolation is really the worst thing. Please tell your family that you need them to take turns coming bu. They are so precious as you are to them.,nothing more important. If time allows talk gently with each one individually invite the for luch they can brig what ever food they wish and justbgivrvthrm all,big hugs let them know how important they are to you.

many blessing for a good talk and my you receive all that you need from your family. 

• Posted

I really admire your positive attitude to things. It sounds like you just take things as they come and don't let yourself get too stressed by it all which is something I need to learn to do. I tend to panic when I know I have extra things coming up as I worry about having the energy to do them but as Phillis said too your comment that 'health is more important than being stuck in bed for weeks due to overdoing things' is so true and not just for Chrismas for life in general. Not overdoing it to the point of exhaustion would be a great New Year's resolution to make. Hope you have a great Christmas!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.