How do you cope with constant pain?

Posted , 8 users are following.

3 years ago after previously having sciatica which went away it returned. L5s1 disc protrusion. I have had a nerve block 2 years ago which numbed the pain but didn't fully get rid of it. I see a private physio every 3 weeks and recently had an cadual epidural which didn't work. Bought every gadget, do every exercise given by physio. Over the past 12 months the pain has been getting worse and managed through naproxen and physio. My physio suggested a fusion because it doesn't take much for me to.go out of alignment. Also the hospital physio recommended I see the consultant as it had been going on for too long now and affecting my quality of life and suggested surgery.

I work full time but have been struggling to do a full week since last injection in July and now use my leave to work 4 days a week. I spoke with the consultant who said he doesn't think surgery will help my situation at all and would like me to try some more medication. He said there is too much of a space so not impacting nerve too much. He thinks its shrunk back a bit. Last time 2 years ago he said if no improvement would consider shaving the disc. But why so much pain. I recently came off amatrytline after 3 months of side effects, so was told my doc to come off them and they didn't really help. So next step is to try gabapentin or pregablin. He doesn't want to consider anymore injections either yet.

After battling this for 3 years and trying to remain positive I am now really struggling. I have no life outside of work, lost friends, don't go away on holiday etc, plan my entire day from start to finish and usually put on a brave face until I go home. My marriage is suffering as a result, and I am now considering reducing my hours at work. I have adjusted my life and have tried and managed to take pleasure in the simple things, meals out and going for walks when I can.

I think the consultant dismissing my pain has knocked me, not that I wanted surgery nobody does! But had come around to the idea.

I can't sleep again tonite, got bad spasms and feel constantly worried about my future. At 46 feeling pretty low.

Just wonder how everyone copes with chronic pain and accepting that this may be your life now.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HELLO AM1192,

I READ YOUR CONCERNS AND THE REPLIES, HOW EVER, THERE WAS LITTLE SAID ABOUT SCS(SPINAL CORD STIMULATION). I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH MY LOWER DISKS ISSUE FOR YEARS, SINCE THE 80'S I WORK WITH PAIN UNTIL 2007, IN WHICH I WAS NOT ABLE TO WALK UP STAIRS INTO MY JOB. WHICH IS THE LAST TIME I WORKED. I HAVE HAD INJECTIONS AND PAIN MEDICATIONS. WHICH IN THE LONG TERM DID NOT HELP. I WAS TOLD BY MY PAIN DR. TO TRY SCS. WHICH IS A ONE DAY PROCEDURE AND WENT HOME RIGHT AFTER. THERE WERE SOME DOWN TIME AFTER, BUT WAS ABLE TO DO IT AT HOME, WITH HELP. IT WAS AFTER I HAD THE PROCEDURE, WHICH I WAS INSERTED WITH A SMALL BATTERY IN MY HIP AREA AND LOWER BACK, AND THE USE OF A REMOTE TO CONTROL TO HELP WITH MY PAIN. AS OF A YEAR. I HARDLY USE IT, AND IT DID HELP. AND THERE ARE INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO USE THE SCS, AND THAT TAKES TIME AND ADJUSTMENTS, TO HAVE IT WORKS FOR YOU, BUT IT'S BEEN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR, AND I AM REALLY FEELING BETTER WITH PAIN MEDICATION AND EVERY NOW AND THEN I USE THE STIMULATOR. BUT I DON'T USE MY CANE MUCH, NOT UNLESS I HAVE TO WALK FOR LONG PERIODS. I RECENTLY WAS GIVEN GAPAPENTIN FOR MY NERVES, AND I NOTICE GREAT RELIEF, TO MY SURPRISE, TO THE POINT, I MIGHT BE ABLE TO AT LEAST WORK PART TIME I HOPE, AND HOPING LATER FULL TIME, I WILL SEE, BECAUSE I HAVE PAIN SITTING AND WALKING FOR LONG PERIODS. BUT I AM HAPPY ABOUT MY TREATMENTS. I'M NOT ABLE TO DO MUCH, BUT I AM DOING MORE, IN BETWEEN BREAKS, WHICH IS MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE. IN CONCLUSION, AFTER MY SCS, GABAPENTIN, AND PAIN PILLS, I AM FEELING BETTER, SINCE I STOPPED WORKING IN 2007. NO I AM NOT 100%, BUT I FEEL LIKE I HAVE A LIFE. SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS WITH YOUR DR. ABOUT THE SCS. I WISH YOU WELL, AND LESS PAIN, HOPEFULLY A BETTER LIFE.

GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Hello foxy32222,

I really appreciate your post and I am so pleased to hear your good news. I am so happy that you feel like you have your life back and considering work. I had not heard of SCS before so will raise that with my doctor. I am also going to ask for gabapentin.

Wishing you the best and appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.

• Posted

I REALLY HOPE YOU FIND HELP ASAP, BECAUSE THIS LOWER BACK PAIN IS SPEECHLESS, AND YES TRY THE GABAPENTIN FIRST AND SEE WHAT IT DO, IT TOOK ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE I FELT A DIFFERENCE THOUGH....I ALSO GET RELIEF FROM A HEAT PAD. MY WORST PAIN IS WHEN I WAKE UP, AFTER I GET MEDICATED, I CAN GO ON WITH MY DAY.

GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Thanks will do. My pain is worse at night cramps/spasms are a nightmare. I also find a heat pad helps a lot. Thanks again for your support, wishing you all the best.

• Posted

I too have a spinal cord stimulator implanted - specifically it is called a "Nevro HF10." Overall I would echo foxy's sentiment - it has worked for me to a moderate extent. It lowered my pain level and has allowed me to reduce (although not eliminate) the level of pain medication that I take.

An SCS also has a positive feature that no other treatment (like injections) have - it works simultaneously on both sciatic pain (e.g. pain down your leg) and also lumbar pain and spasms (usually resulting from disc strain and/or spinal arthritis. That's a really nice feature of the SCS.

One thing to know about the SCS, however, which I wrote about above - it is generally considered a "last line of defense," to be used when all else has failed. It's not an experimental treatment (it's been FDA approved for over 20 years), and there are about 200,000 Americans with them implanted, but insurance companies are still reluctant to approve them prior to other treatments, like decompression surgery. And there are a LOT of things that are often required to approve an SCS, including certain types of diagnostic injections and even a meeting with a psychologist to evaluate your suitability (to be honest it was a real pain to get mine approved).

That said, there is no harm talking to your doctor about it to see what he says. Oh and another fantastic feature of the SCS is that they can implant a "trial version" of an SCS in you (indeed everyone who gets a permanent SCS has usually always gone through the trial first). In the trial they implant only the wires inside you - the device and the battery pack remains outside your body, attached to your spine through your skin (I know, it sounds gross and it IS a bit weird and inconvenient, especially since you can't bathe or shower, but it is only for 7 days). If it works for you during the trial then they approve the implantation, otherwise if you get no sign of pain relief in that seven day trial then they won't implant it permanently. It's probably the only surgery you'll ever get to "test drive" before you sign up for it...

• Posted

Thank you seafarer123 for all of your advice over the last few days. It has certainly given me a lot to think about and to take to my doctor this week. It's also good to know that I am not on my own. thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.