How do you cope with work after an op

Posted , 11 users are following.

I go to see the urogynocologist in a couple of weeks for a rectocele prolapse, maybe bladder too. 

I'm not worried about them poking about, but I am worried if I have to have an op, because my job means I'm on my feet for 6 hours a day minus 20min break, plus it involves heavy lifting.  Anyone else in the same situation,with heavy lifting, how long were you off work?

I'm 54yrs old.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would be very careful after this type of operation regarding heavy lifting. It is one of the worse things for prolape bladder or after prolapse surgery. I hope you can figure out some sort of way to do that lifting without putting too much bearing down on your pelvic floor. I will private message you about something else as well to try to help you figure this out regarding all that heavy lifting that may help regarding several other alternatives.

Lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn, Ann here how do I send back a reply using private email, new member and haven't worked it all out yet, thanks.  I'm 62 and have had a posterial prolapse op and vag vault repair 9 weeks ago,  thanks
    • Posted

Hi Ann

If you want to send a private message to anyone on this forum, just click on their name and it will take you to the private message board. Click the word message when you see that and then you can write your message to that person.

Lynn

• Posted

I have no choice,it's my job, I work in a supermarket and have for the last 16yr.

It is a very hands on job.

Thanks for your quick reply.

• Posted

Hi Lynn66084. I had the operation for both bowel an bladder prolapes I work in the catering department of my hospital (dining room) with some heavy lifting an carrying I work 7 hours a day  so am on my feet for all that time apart from my breaks . I'm 11weeks post op an been back at work for 2 weeks now an I'm on light duties an phase return so am doing only 4 hours ( I only work 3 out of 7 on my normal shifts)   As I had my operation done at the hospital where I work I was sent to occy health by my manager to sort out what I can an can't do . I was told NO LIFTING  PULLING or CARRYING at all for the next 4weeks so in total it will be 15 weeks . Your manager should do a risk assessment for you an to do light duty is there any chance you could do till work ? As that will be better for you . I was off work for 9 weeks an I was ready to go back to work after I saw my consulant who did my operation. It's very hard when you feel like I'll only just lift this it'll be ok but please don't you could make your prolapes come back . An then you will be back to the way you was before your operation b(,I know you have not had yours yet ) , I was pushing a trolley on Friday as I going into dining room my consulant saw me an told me off ( we are on first names as iv known him for 41/2 years ) so please listen to what you are told by your consulant if any problems get them to write to your manger . This is a great web site with all different answers I found it very helpful from when I went in for my operation till now .hope this is helpful to you ...😀
    • Posted

hi julie i had both opps as youmy bladder was ok after surgery but still struggling with bowel movement and still using laxatives senakot ... how did you get o after the opp im 18 days from post opp now and also is it normal to feel as tho you still av some sort of prolapse but could this be the swelling inside has ot settled yet as i had both sides of vagina cut ?
    • Posted

Hi Jackie . You will feel very swollen as you have had major surgery an been pulled  about  give it time as its still early days for you . Even 11 weeks post op for me I can still feel swelling if I do to much but it's all ok nothing to worry about . When do you go to see your consulant again ? . It can take up to 100 days  to feel normal again that's what I was told by my consulant I even gone back to the gym but not to use any weights till after another 4 weeks . My bowels were very uncomfortable for the first few days so I took lactulose which worked for me (give that a try ) . This is a great web site for all your answers as many ladies on here have had the same operations it's been a great help to me . 
    • Posted

thanku for your reply julie, i go bk to my consultant 1st december just spoke to my gp and shes perscribed me some senna hoping for it to feel better and said it was early days yet and swelling will go down in time but like you said very delicate .... just make me worried to think the prolapse is come bk .... but just swelling ... im just bit of a worrier ... but yes good site to chat to people that have had simalar opps.
    • Posted

That's good news at least now you got peace of mind where do you live ? That's a long time before you go back to seeing your consulant  I went when I was 8 weeks post op an was told to carry on doing pelvic floor exercises an was also told that sex was ok (ky jelly) I laughed at that comment made by my consulant an he said your doing your pelvic floor excerises while you was laughing . The thing is jackie I know my consulant as we both work at the same hospital an are on first names terms . 😀
    • Posted

this is a good site get so much information off people who are going or gone through similar things.

Good thing your consultant was there to remind you lol hope you listened.

I can't do till work, I get panic attacks, I can't cope with it, shop can be chocka,I love it but just cannot do tills. 

I was off for 5 month when I hurt my knee, stressed to anything though in case I lost my job. But I went back phased in then, but the pain was really bad.

• Posted

Will you always have to use ky jelly or just while things are healing.?
    • Posted

hi there julie sorry late reply ..... i live in leicester my consultant did spk to me bout ky jelly i was shocked as she mentioned on first visit to me after surgery that she had pt in extra stick to make things tighter i just laughed in embaressment then on other visits she mentioned no sex for 6 wks or until you feel ok every visit she mentioned something to do with sex lol  in the end i said ... do you no what sex is the last thing on my mind right now and laughed ... i made a oke of it ... but she was funny the was leicester general .....its good you have your consultant so close.just one thing julie when do u start pelvic floor exercises i roll my legs side by side and roll my pelvis bk and forward would you say thats ok but not done actual pelvic floor yet where u pull tummy in ...
    • Posted

I know I laughed to when sex was mentioned like you last thing on your mind   I was told to start as soon as the packing came out so I do it all the time now think you get into a routine. Today I had a smear test an that did hurt when she put that speculum inside only because I'm still tender the nurse said . The  exercises I do it pulled in an hold also when I go to the logo I stop mid flow an hold then let go apparently laughing is very good to as it pulls your muscles in . 
    • Posted

ok thats good ill carry on wih what i do but start pelvic floor and see how it goes .... not looking forward to smear test now you have said that on what period was the smear test done ,,, 3 months or longer ..... ouch lol
    • Posted

Hi jackie iv been in my change for 5 years was on HRT but I finished taking it back in January an have not had a period for 8 months so I wasn't even sure I needed a smear test it was OK a bit sore when she inserted the speculum. Im 11weeks post op .
    • Posted

Hi Julie, Ann here I'm 9weeks post op for vag vault repair and grade 3 rectocele just curious when you say you still have swelling when doing too much, what sort of pain do you feel?  
    • Posted

Hi Ann, just wondering how you are 9 weeks post op? Just had similar op 3 weeks ago so am wondering how long it will take and what to expect 9 weeks in? Also, just wondering how old you are? I am 58.
    • Posted

Hi Jane I'm 62 and don't think you'll automatically have my problems it seems there are so many others who have had much better results and much faster too so guess it's a real individual thing. Just watch the constipation thing that seems the main issue, I'm okay I eat a about dozen prunes a day and they work majically I don't really like laxatives but even though I keep them on hand just in case.  Every country seems to have different rules and hospital times it amazes me as doesn't matter where we are we are still females!  I hope your recovery is fast good luck, Ann 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.