How do you decide if you need a revision?

Posted , 9 users are following.

How was it decided that you were a good candiate for revision? I am 13 months out from TKR. Still so much pain and doctor says maybe a revision might help. Plan on waiting until its been 18 months to revisit it.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Those of who had the revision, what were your symptoms that caused the doctor to do the surgery? I have always felt like the new knee is too big. Surgeon tells me it is fine. I can't do any kind of knee lift without making a big effort. When I walk it does not automatically straighten like my good one does. I can force it to straighten when I stand though.
    • Posted

well it was me that decided i needed the revision surgeons tried to put me off saying i could be worse  !!.  when i found the right surgeon he decided that yes i had very little bend 70 deg and the fact that i was limping badly because of pain was his reason  when you say your leg dose not straighten like your good one do you mean your good one is your own knee because if it is the new knee is never the same as the old knee no matter how good the new one is .  after tkr it is very important to strenghten it as much as you can maybe you could try a physio to help strenghten it .  weakness in muscles after tkr is normal but if you have done all this and still not happy then dont be put off by surgeons telling you that the knee is fine ive had surgeons tell me just that.   ive had xrays/mri scan /extra long xray , all came back normal but when i did have the revision surgeon said the the alighment was slightly off and the kneecap needed to be resurfaced none of the above showed in any test so they really dont know till they go in hope this answers some of your questions
    • Posted

I have always felt that the new knee was too big,also continued pain and bend of less than 90 percent.
  • Posted

How much work have you done on your quads? Strengthen those and your ligaments  and tendons will fall into place  A lot of work and effort is needed.  Most of it you have to do one your own. 18 months is the day they say you knee should be in a good place.  Sometimes it takes longer,sometimes a revision is needed but rarely.  Everything around your knee will be swollen, all the fluid yhere will stop you bending, straightening and feeling comfortable. You must have been told there would be a long haul.It is not the same as a broken leg. It also affects you mentally.A lot of patience, hydrotherapy is a must, trying to walk putting you heel down then roll onto your toes, very strange way of walking,but it uses more muscles than you think, but all in a positive way, don't automatically think revision or manipulation, exhaust all other avenues. Avoiding certain foods helps with pain as does a good Pain Management consultant. They are there to help you manage pain,in order to maintain your daily life.  There are so many avenues you cango down
  • Posted

I do strenghening exerises daily for my quads. Have been trying to pinpoint what has changed this past month and I think that my knee turns stlightly inward when I walk which it didn't do a few months ago. Was curious about the new patella. My new one is 1/2" wider and longer than the other knee. It also does not move like the orignal knee cap does. Anyone else notice this?
    • Posted

Slow down your pace.....stride out, hitting heel, to and then bend as far as possible. Most people start hurrying their walk and trying to go too fast too soon. This can cause muscles to shorten causing some of these problems. You'll look a little strange and get a couple of odd looks but don't let that concern you.......Its your health

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.