How do you do your exercise?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone, forgive me if this is a silly question but I'm really curious about the exercises and I thought it might be interesting to hear how diff people approach them.

How many times per day do you do them? and to what sort of intensity do most of you practice them? Do you take the gentle or firm sort of stretch approach or do you do them aggressively, in other words press as hard as you can and then a bit more? Can it be counter productive to do them to hard? And Do you feel there is benefit in taking a rest day throughout the week?In your experience, Do you find that as your Range Of Motion increases, do the exercises get easier or do we have to work hard for every degree of flexion?

2 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Peter

good question i am down in the dumps because of this new pain and noise from my knee. I have always tried to complete my exercises even in a reduced form but this has floored me. I usually try to add a little extra each day e.g a cm further on the lifts, or a bit extra on the bend. Not aggressively though, gentle persistence. At nearly 7 weeks when i read that others are driving or back at work it depresses me more than inspires me as i am still struggling so.

• Posted

Hi Sally. I know exactly how you feel and I am 24 weeks post op!!!  It seems that everyone is doing better than you are - better bend , better straightening, little or no pain!! When I was at physio EVERYONE'S bend was more than mine. Mine stayed at 95 for the first 8 weeks. I have no idea what it is now as I haven't had physio since then.  I have been exercising twice a day for about 40 mins each time. It is exhausting! I peddle for 20mins then squats, leg lifts and bends etc for another 15-20 mins. I am still in quite a bit of pain and although I have been driving since week 6, it is still painful a lot of the time! Don't despair Sally it just takes a long long time.  I am proof that everyone heals at different speeds. I have had many down days but today is a good one as the pain is pretty minimal 

Dont beat yourself up because you are not progressing like others - it will come. Stick with this site as the support is brilliant and has kept me from ripping my hair out many times lol. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Ruby, I admire you doing 2 x 40 min sessions a day. I'm 6 months post op too and only manage 2x20 mins plus 5 mins on the bike. My exercises focus on a problem I developed with a tight piriformis muscle causing pain down the back of my leg. I still get some pain from this and my leg gets very stiff. It's sore still around the knee too. My problem is knowing how much of the discomfort is from the knee and how much is due to the other issue. So I was interested to read that you still get quite a lot of pain. I'm trying doing the strengthening exercises I've been given every other day as some say to give the muscles a rest. Can't really say if it's any better yet! 

I'm hoping to be more comfortable one day! 

• Posted

well said Ruby

we do all heal at a different pace I seem to be healing very slowly but very often I find myself doing something new without realising it at first.

like the other day I needed something from upstairs.

i have two banister rails on my stairs ...I reached the top ...holding on of course.... And realised I had just gone upstairs normally instead of one foot at a time.

i do that every time now ....I still need the one foot at a time for coming downstairs...... But....watch this space biggrin

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. I only do the 40 mins each time because after hurting my back and not doing much for a few weeks I stiffened up so badly , I was afraid it would stay like it!  I have my 6 month check on 3rd Feb so all being well I will 

hopefully be able to knock them down to just once a day.  The pain is still there but nowhere near as bad as it has been. Keep at it Jennifer, it can only get better.  Can't it?? Xx

• Posted

That is it exactly Jean, same for me too. You find every few days you do some little thing that you hadn't done before without realising it!  I can't come down stairs properly yet either but it will happen.  It makes ou feel better I think that you have achieved something😜
  • Posted

I am now 14 weeks 3 days and I went back to work properly on January 5th and frankly by the end of the day the only thing I won't to do is ice and elevate! I do go on my static bike for five minutes or so if I feel that my knee is stiffening up, but every day stuff such as walking, driving, going up and down stairs, cleaning  cooking, walking the dog etc seems to take up my time and my knee is getting exercise by normal use. I do go for the odd swim if I have time! I can now kneel fairly comfortably,  get in and out of the car without moving the seat, climb a step ladder, etc so I think I'm doing fairly well.
  • Posted

Hi Peter. I exercise twice a day and I am 24'weeks. I do about 40 mins a time which includes 20 mins on the peddle machine. During the first 8 to 10 weeks I pushed the pain to the limit but learnt that that just caused more problems. I hurt my back and did very little exercise for nearly 2 weeks. My leg progress went backwards. It was very stiff again and the exercises were excruciating for a couple of weeks. I find that if I massage the knee with bio oil before exercise it helps immensely. I don't push to the limit now, just as far as I feel is ok for me. Hope this answers some of your questions.x
  • Posted

My therapist has always pushed to the level of being close to but not in pain. Slow, steady, do them correctly and don't rush. Take pain meds far enough in advance to keep pain in check before you start, ice immediately after. Get fully hydrated before, during and after. I have always done one full set plus a 20 min stretching session every other day and stretching plus what I considered light workout on the odd days. I have always seen my therapist 2 x's weekly where he added new excercise and added weights where applicable. The odd days were mainly used for bend and straightening and the other days, strength and mobility added. Not sure this works with your program but its done pretty good for me. I use a stationary bike for stretching but not for pedaling. Instead of full rotation, I push to the pedal to the top, stop and apply pressure for the maximum stretch, then reverse doing the same holding for a count of 10 each time. BTW, you shouldn't feel like there is such thing as a silly question on this forum. I am now in my 4th full rehab and one partial and I am continually getting new ideas from folks on here as well as my therapist
  • Posted

Hi Peter, excersises? I started doing the ones given by the pain clinic 2months before my op, 5times a day, nothing too strenuous, after op I had  a 97bend and 2weeks after 120 bend and flexions good. I only had to have 2 physio sessions and was discharged . Post op i did them when I could stand the pain. Somedays I didn't do them at all. I will be 6months next week, do excersise maybe 3times a week. Can walk without aids but am still getting a lot of pain in knee, it is defiantly worse after I have excersises . I am nowhere near feeling physically and emotionally well. So should I have done more, its so hard to tell. I think the body needs a long,long time to fully heal and we all heal at different speeds. I develope new aches and pains every day, so maybe its saying to me rest for a while and give me a chance . Hope this helps Peter 
  • Posted

Hi peter I try to exercise twice a day and small at eight weeks.  I try to walk every day and am using a stick.   I have 90 bend and am not driving yet.  I have physio once a week.   My Ben was really bad before op so anything is a bonus.  I am a believer in resting, not e Dr ising too much as from what I have read you can overdo it.  I believe the body has time to heal and that you should do as it dictates to you.  I do panics times when I hear about what others can do but we are all different and heal differently.  My leg feels so tight sometimes but I thank god I sm sleeping better and am not in the pain I was before the op and walk much further than I ever could before.
  • Posted

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. These exercises are such a vital part of the recovery process I thought it good to see how others at different stages approach them.

It seems as though the odd person exercises little, and achieves their full ROM pretty quickly, but I think for the vast majority it is a long, hard and frustrating  process.

I'm doing my exercises 3X per day with stretching in between. Have also added 5min on the exercise bike twice per day. It's the practice of my surgeons rehab team to push the exercises to the max and then some. That’s what I have been doing but I'm stopping the "then some" part. I like the way Oldfatguy put it, pushed to the level of being close to but not in pain. Think I will try that for sure.

I figured that seeing the variety of approaches people take would help others (at all levels) to avoid some pitfalls and maybe pick up some new ideas to help them along.

Thanks again everyone

• Posted

Hi Peter, I use to do the exercises twice a day before I went back to work, leg raises, stretches etc, lunges and cycling for 100 turns. However the physio advised me not to do exercises if I had a busy day doing other things e.g housework, long walk. I am now back at work and do them once a day as well as normal daily activities.  Not sure about the bend but I can do most  things again now.  A hit like Glendale below.  Only slight problem I  have is kneeling but that is because my knee is still swollen.  I am not too worried by the puffiness because even when I had a arthroscopy  the swelling took several months to go down
  • Posted

Hi Peter

I do my exercises as and when i feel like it. Always ensuring a little is done each day. Elevating and icing often. Massaging once a day. It's not a race so we shouldn't push to hard. Just a little each day. I have hydro twice a week

I found these steps from a UK website a good guide to stick to :

Looking after your new knee

Continue to take any prescribed painkillers or anti-inflammatories to help manage any pain and swelling

Use your walking aids but aim to gradually decrease the amount you rely on them as your leg feels stronger

Keep up your exercises to help prevent stiffness and do not force your knee

Do not sit with your legs crossed for six weeks after your operation

Do not put a pillow underneath your knee when sleeping as this can result in a permanently bent knee

Avoid twisting at your knee

Wear supportive outdoor shoes

Do not kneel on your operated knee until your surgeon says you can

Raise your leg when sitting and use ice packs to help with any swelling

• Posted

Good advice I think.  I know I have felt the benefit these last couple of weeks in taking it slowly.   I was always told by surgeon and physio about lack of bend "it will come" and they were right.   It pays to take things slowly both for mobility and  the way you feel in yourself.  I am not so tired now and feel I have more energy. 
    • Posted

So right!

If you exercise to the limits you are stressing. Muscles tendons etc that are already stressed. They need regular gentle exercise to recover fully. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.