How do you explain fibro to others?

Posted , 10 users are following.

People look at me like I'm mad when I try to explain how I'm feeling. They dont seem to understand how I can look ok but be in as much pain as I am or that I'll be fine one day and barely able to move the next.

'It's all in your head'

'you were fine yesterday/earlier'

How do you explain to others?

When I start to I seem to just make excuses and brush it off as it's nothing.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I am the same way. Today I have O energy and had a bad attack with my fibro 2days ago. People just don’t or just won’t understand. My best friend is my heating pad. I just took my dog for a 25 min. Walk and now I Am hurting. God Bless you
  • Posted

Most people cannot understand what they cannot see, so it is less stressful for me to keep my health issues to myself. I am fortunate that I have a couple of friends with similar conditions, so we understand each  other and can vent to each other occasionally. And this site is wonderful because we all have more understanding of each other. I have sort of  bluffed my way through life for 22 years with it, but I was very fortunate that I could give up work at the time and take over bringing up grandchildren. I slept when the babies slept etc.

​I have told those close to me who should know, but 2 of them are total disbelievers. I avoid health conversations with them !

​It is not easy, but it is less stressfull for me to not mention it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.