How do you feel after POEM surgery?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm getting ready to have the POEM surgery Sept. 30th. Was just wondering about how you feel after the surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Linda, I had that surgery middle of june. I had very little pain , if any. Just couldn't eat food. First night had to suck on a sponge with water in it for liquid. But, 3 weeks after surgery I was eating regular food again. I lost 22 lbs from the clear liquid diet before surgery and the liquid diet the soft food till reg food diets. Glad I did it. Seems like it was a long time ago. Ha ha

• Posted

I feel great!  My swallowing is about 95% back to normal and my spasms have gone away.  I wish you the same. 
  • Posted

Linda:

Right after the surgery i was very thirsty. I was on liquids for a very few days afterwards and on soft foods by day four. I moved to solids within about two weeks. I felt great for about six weeks. Even though i have had issues since then I would still recommend the surgery to anyone with achalasia. If you have advanced achalasia as my surgeon told me I did the only thing I might ask about is fundoplication to prevent acid reflux which can result in a return of symptoms at least it has with me. I didn’t have fundoplication.

Best

a  

• Posted

I had POEM June 27th and it was successful. I can eat much better now! Recovery was hard but short. The liquid diet before and after was really difficult. I wast weak and cranky. I was in some pain after the surgery but wasn't offered pain meds other than liquid Tylenol after the second day. The pain was mostly due to spasms, which lasted the first week or two after surgery while my E healed and then stopped. They weren't unbearable but painful. I developed bronchitis, which lasted over a month after surgey from being intubated and food from my E probably getting into my lungs. I had a hard time sleeping since my surgeon told me I have to sleep with my upper body  25-40 degrees elevated for life and I was coughing a lot. Without the bronchitis, I probably would have been good after two weeks.  Definitley buy a wedge pillow before surgery so you'll be set up for sleeping afterwards. I'm on PPIs for the first few months and had bad reflux right after surgery but it has setteld down. Eating is much improved. It's kind of amazing. I can eat most things except for gummy bread and steak but I have to eat less and more often. I have a lot of gas and had nausea while I adjusted to the PPIs and if I eat too much but it's a lot less now. I highly recommend taking digestive enzymes and probiotics once you start on a solid food diet; they help me. Overall, it's was hard for a few weeks, and eating is an adjustment but POEM has caused a big improvement in eating, strength, mood and my quality of life. Feel fre to message me if youhave questions. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.