How do you get out of this pit of misery?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've been in a depressive state for a couple of months now & I'm really struggling to get out of it. I know it isn't a simple process, but as daft as it sounds, I've analysed my life & generally I'm "crying over spilt milk"?

I've spoken to friends, family, my GP & even had counseling. But, although I'm extremely grateful to all of them, it's difficult to take their advice on board because "they haven't been there". Anyone here that has been there & come out the other side? Is there such a thing as group therapy like AA?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi philip. it is a very dark place and when your in that state of mind it is hard to imagine feeling normal again. but you will, i had anxiety/depression this time last year and completely recovered by the summer. unfortunately it has reared its ugly head again.but i have increased my dose of prozac and am also now talking to a counsellor. feeling much better than i did four weeks ago. not completely out of the woods, but getting there. just knowing you are not alone sometimes helps. it will pass, but you have to push yourself to get up each day and do something. get dressed, read a book, go for a walk, or just talking to people, friends and family.

• Posted

Hi,

Has your gp prescribed any medicines to help you, or are you like me, struggled on my own before succumbing to a breakdown.

Fluoxetine helped me, and still does. Sometimes we all need help,I had 19 cbt sessions and family help and today still occasionally have the bad day.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike, I take 40mg of citalopram. I think everyone who has or is suffering with depression have their own trigger points? Which, to a lay person come across as trivial. I'm kind of fed up with people telling me to "put it behind me" cos it just isn't that simple. What happened to me was/is life changing and would in most people's eyes, fit into that "trivial" bracket. I'm in a position now where I have feelings of sadness, anger & frustration because those who I WANT to listen, flatly refuse to do so.

Regards

Phil

• Posted

hi philip welcome to the forum we all know exactly how ure feeling just nowits a horrible illness and people who dont have it have know idea how we feel everything is too much trouble.but rest assured we are all with u on hear some doing better than others.if u want to have a rant go ahead we dont mind we all rant at certain times.are u on any tablets

• Posted

hi philip welcome to the forum we all know exactly how ure feeling just now it is a horrible illness and those people who dont suffer with it do not understand the seriousness of it .it effects every part of your life it robs u of all the good things.are u on any medication from your gp.if u are it can take time to begin to work but we.re all different u could be one of the lucky ones and it works soon u will read on here that it does work differently for us all but dont give up and sometimes u feel worse before u feel any better just a warning it happens to most of us but cling on it will work.there doesnt seem to be any time scale .if u need to ask anything im sure one of us will try our best to help u.im currently on 60 mg of prozac started off on 20mg went to 40 mg after 3wks was doing ok for 2 wks had a blip didnt want to go up again but feeling really bad so am trying the increase.have been taking prozac for almost 13 wks altogether some say it can take 3 months sometimes to get into ure system.keep in touch so we know how ure doing it can help to talk to other people suffering like u we try to help each other to get through it speak soon bazza x

• Posted

Phillip, many of us have been where you are. Maybe not in the exact same place because we are all unique. But the place and surroundings you describe are VERY familiar. I believe we come out of it in the way that is right for us, but we/you CAN come out of it. One very basic thing, noted above, is exercise, even if just a little and even if you have to force yourself at the outset. Exercise can have significant impact, some say more than any meds. I wish you the best. Its a journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.