How do you handle stress??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Whenever I get stressed my blood pressure shoots up to 170/115 or so even when I'm taking medication. Recently stressed thanks to crazy postal employees. My mail carrier verbally assaulted me because she's crazy. Then when I called their 800 customer service line to complain, the agent laughed defending the crazy mail carrier saying that since it's a stressful job they can yell and cuss out customers if they want to. I was so angry I admit I yelled at her. Now my blood pressure is through the roof thanks to them.

So any tips on how to get over stress quickly and not let it affect me as much?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't know, but mine does that too, and it can be over the most minor things. Happened to me today, I think. Sometimes the body does stuff whether we want it to or not.

Of course try to avoid stress, learn to laugh, you can often mellow your way through things instead of fighting with them.

Then you realize you left your glasses at home - and your BP shoots up fifty points! Ouch. Take some time, watch something dumb and harmless on tv, and hopefully the BP goes back down again.

• Posted

I went to my doctor's today and got my blood pressure taken( I have white coat syndrome and I'm an overthinker) by the medical assistant who would not stop talking while i was having by BP taken. I wanted to yell out "shut up" but i tried keeping my cool and of course my BP came out high 140/105. I was really hoping to have a good reading but nope. I went home and sat in the garage and was distracted w a tv show and i took my BP on my machine i bought at target and i got a fairly good reading 118/89 (lowest I've seen in a long time). 15 minutes later i decide to take it on the other arm and while im about to press start my 5 year old comes in and starts yapping away about who knows what asking me all these questions and i just could not at that time so i tell him I'm busy and to come back in a few minutes. i could feel the tension rising. Anyways i still hit start, and what do you know it's 140/100 again. Started thinking to myself, did i get a false low reading on the other arm? or was it that surge of stress that caused a surge in my BP. I guess I'll never know. Sadly, I think that even if we can manage our stress by keeping cool our bodies are just going to do what they want to do.

• Posted

gabriel83491....I too have experienced medical assistants talking to me while my bp readings are being taken. Any instructions I'm aware of clearly state that one should not talk while having the bp readings done, yet they do it all the time. I just sit there, & don't answer, or I'll make a facial expression which tells them I'll respond when we're done. They should know better too.

Be sure your monitor is indeed accurate.

• Posted

acerr....I will assume you are in Canada? I am.

The response you got from the Customer Service line is totally unnacceptable. While I understand that a letter carrier's job can indeed be quite stressful at times, that does NOT give them the right to yell and/or cuss out to customers. I would be complaining in WRITING if I were you, but don't expect much to be done about it. I have my own issues with Canada Post

making mistakes with my mail delivery at times. My letters have gone to the building next door.

Although this has happened just 3 times, it's annoying just the same, so I have stopped any bills coming to my home, & pay them in another fashion.

As for stress...it takes a big toll on the body. What you experienced causes your stress levels to rise, but when you think of it, are they worth it?...NO,they are NOT! When starting to feel

stressed, go for a walk, phone a friend, or invite a friend for coffee...go to the mall, etc.etc.

It's a great distraction. Or, if you have a tablet or whatever, play a game that you find to be fun.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I agree, i find stress difficult too, and often it is caused by medical people - i agree re bp - hardly ever have the chance to sit quietly for a few mins then have it taken in silence. I usually find it medical things the most stressful. eg. recently wrong information has been sent regarding a condition i have in a hospital referral, when this same wrong information has been sent out twice before - how to try and sort this without bp going thru the roof? i cant, i know mindfulness was suggested to me a while back and i am looking into this, i tried an online course but was not able to complete it. Hoping to ask at my Hypertension appointment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.