How do you handle stress with Graves Disease?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I was diagnosed with Graves two years ago and have been on Carbimazole ever since. I have a long term history of depression as well. I have recently stopped the meds having been in low ranges on my blood tests for over a year. I have found that I am perfectly fine until I get stressed. I have been very lucky in that I have been able to continue working thanks to very understanding employers, however I have some highly stress inducing colleagues that can't be reasoned with. I am aware that this is my problem that I can't handle them, not theirs. I wonder if anyone has found any effective ways of dealing with stress and how to calm down from an anxiety attack. I have found breathing exercises and meditation very difficult as my brain just keeps going even if my body is relaxed. If anyone has any advice it would be very gratefully received as I don't want to have to leave my job.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caz, Patience is a virtue. Easy said than done, right? There is a 'new' (maybe not so new) way of releasing negative emothions: Tapping Meditation. It can focus on relaxing both body and mind... You can search "The Tapping Solution" for more info. Hope it help.

• Posted

Thanks Mike. I've never heard of this before. It definitely seems worth a try, it sounds very interesting. I used to have a lot of patience but I've lost it with the Graves.

• Posted

Hey Caz, I am still searching more of this "tapping" thing and not really into its practice yet (maybe 10%?)  I found no way of rushing onto these alternative treatments (at least for me). Oh, If you want to recover from GD, you must restore patience first. Changing life style could be waving to you... I know it's a long way to go b4 returning to your old you. Remember there is hope even you lose patience. Best regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.