How do you know - FODMAP?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I downloaded the app for the fodmap diet. I went through the list of what I have been eating to see what may be causing me problems. This morning I decided to eat breakfast foods as singles and then wait an hr after each to see how belly responded. Oatmeal - fine, eggs - fine, low fat yogurt - tummy grumbling and pinch of pain in back. I was eating yogurt to calm acid in stomach since I have some issues with that currently.

Now would my body react to the food right away or am I going about this all wrong? I did not want my breakfast all at once because then I would not know what is causing me problems so I just spaced everything.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi There,

Your are on the right tract. Oatmeal is the best thing for your gut. Its just trial and error not all people respond the same to the same foods.

• Posted

Thank you Diane. So if there is something it says should be safe to eat and it does not sit well with me that's ok, I just write that down as one to avoid?

• Posted

Eat normally and try a food diary and record any food intolerances you get. Note down the time of the food reaction and this will tell you how long it takes for you to get symptoms. Everyone is different. Some react straight away to a food whereas others may not react for hours or even until the next day. This is a very individual thing. Spicy food gives me heartburn within minutes whereas salami sausage makes me vomit within hours of eating it. It is trial and error to find these things out.

• Posted

That is not how you do the low FODMAP diet. If you want to go it properly then you probably need to see a dietician to guide you through the different phases

• Posted

That is not how you do the low FODMAP diet. If you want to go it properly then you probably need to see a dietician to guide you through the different phases

• Posted

• Posted

Hi sarah, fodmaps are difficult. It takes a while to adjust to using them and what foods you can and can't have. If you relax a lot somehow eating may not be as tough.i try not to put an emphasis on food, i have really struggled this last year. I am awaiting a coeliac test via general anaesthesic in hospital but i may have made matters worse by cutting gluten out temporarily. I just can't have it, it's making me feel frightened and so ill i daren't touch it at present. My doctor is ringing on Monday. For you you could ask for a dietitian's support, the fodmap diet is tough. I wish you luck, if you want to cut things out do it slowly, not lots at once. Good luck.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.