How do you know if you are having a flare.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have posted before on this forum. I was diagnosed 18 months ago with multiple diverticulosis from tranverse colon right down to sigmoid colon, after a spell of constipation and blood in stools. The surgeon also found small internal hemeroids and said that he could not tell if the bleeding was from the hemeroids or diverticular. I also had one polyp removed which was found to be benign. I never had the hemeroids banded, which was maybe a mistake. I was just so relieved there was nothing nasty going on. Since then I have continued to have odd pains and bloating but as I also suffer from IBS put it down to that. I was subsequently diagnosed in January of this year with mild erosive gastritis with no bleeding. So I never know what is causing what. More recently I have had to a course of penicillin ,followed a week later by 7 days Ciprofloxacin for other problems. Obviously the antibiotics have upset the system it is now a month and still not right. What I am trying to work out is if it could be a DD flare starting, I have never had divertiulitis. I have had lumpy stools which are easy to pass as I take fibogel. Sometimes they are and sorry about the description they are smooth one side and balls stuck together on the other. I did wonder if this is to do with the pouches. There has also been some blood but not all the time. When I asked the gp about lumpy stools a little while back she said to take another dose of fibogel but I think it didn't make any difference so went back to one. The last couple of days I have also had another bowel movement an hour or so after the first, much softer and smaller and lighter in colour, but no blood. I did react to the cipro and my gp has recorded it on my records as an adverse reaction. So maybe this is part of it. I have thought about doing fluids only for 24 hours and then low fibre diet but am terrified of getting bad constipation again. This has always been a problem for me I usually never get diarrhea unless I have a bug or from bowel prep. How do you ensure this does not happen, can I still take fibogel when on low fibre diet and ground flaxseed on say rice crispies ( I usually have it on porridge. As for how I feel, tired but have not been sleeping well, waking up at 5am everyday. I do suffer from anxiety as well, a killer for digestive problems and sleep. I am 71 and was looking forward to Christmas, last Christmas I was unwell. It seems you never really get better, bad enough arthritis pain but worrying about what you can and cannot eat gets you down. I did try the low fod map diet earlier this year but not strictly (my fault) it did though help a lot with bloating and how I felt, but not really with bowels. I probably have asked a lot of this in the past so I apologise for that. Is there anyone you normally has a problem with constipationand has tried a low fibre diet. The only things I have found out is that white bread bungs me up but I cannot eat too much wholemeal either. I am not sure about scrambled eggs either. My gp just says you need a high fibre diet. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi, I HAVE had divertculosis/ diverticulitis for over 15 years and i am your age. RELAX and take a breath. YOU WILL be fine.

i would suggest you discussing all your concerns with you Gastro doctor.

i would take a priobiotic until your intestines quiet.

it takes time to heal. i am constipated too a liy. FIBERGEL it METIMUCIL as it is known in the US does not work for me. I TAKEe MIRALAX as soon as i see a difficulty moVING my bowels. it was recommended by my GASTRO doctor.

YOUR OCASSIONSL DISCOMFORT is to be expected until you heal. TRY to stay calm. i know its difficult but it will just add to your fear.

BLESSINGS and HUGS

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. Are you in the US I wonder. I do not have a gastro doctor after I had the colonoscopy last year on the nhs they did not want to see me again. They only found 1 polyp which was tested in the lab and was benign. The consultant was quite certain that the polyp which was small was benign even before it was tested. So I am under the care of my GP. She does says you need a high fibre diet and if you did have have an infection you would be ill with a temperature need anitbiotics (although I will never take ciprofloxacin again unless it is a matter of life and death). She also said if that happens then you need to do liquid diet then low fibre and gradually get back to normal high fibre diet.Can I ask what type of laxative is Miralax . Before the fibergel I took movicol think that's was it was called but it gave me terrible wind and cramps. So you can see I do not know if I have ever had an infection. Usually just odd fleeting pains down on left side and sometimes right. Also another pain higher up on the left hand side had for years with IBS when the intestine goes into spasm. The only other pain that could be connected is pain in lower back and thighs but I do have osteo arthritis right down the spine in the neck and knees and possible hips. It is more to do with bowels playing up and tendency to constipation. It is a bit of guessing game.

• Posted

hi, yes i am. MIRALAX IS A MILD laxative which helps the colon absorb water to have normal stools. no cramping, gas either. just a normal bowel movement.

i tried fiber and it made my IBS act up. i stay away from hard to digest foods. steak, raw veggies and seeds, skins and nuts.

i use a crockpot a lot and eat pasta, potatoes and ground beef. you must keep a journal of the foods that bother you and stay away from them as much as possible. also small portions several times a day.

wishing you the very best,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.