How do you know when it is safe to taper again?z

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

when do you know when it is safe to taper down again?

i'm on my 5th day of 11.25 mg if MIRT. I'm trying to taper from being on 15mg for 3 weeks (+ 1.5 weeks of being on 7.5mg as a starting dose). When do i know when it is safe to taper down again? i'm trying to taper down to 7.5mg, then 3.5... to 0mg

i've been sleeping at least 6-7hrs (better than the last week when i was on 15mg). The only symptoms that i have notice so far since tapering to 11.25 has been some diarrhea, abdominal cramps, lack of appetite, brain fog, and some depersonilzation.

thanks for your help

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

It's tricky because you were on 15 for a relatively short period and want to get off as fast as possible before the drug really gets integrated into your system, causing more withdrawal. It sounds like it already has by the sound of your symptoms. From the withdrawal support forums, they say it takes at least four days for your system to register a dosage change, and then you need to let your system heal from that change before moving on to another cut, 3 weeks. Then, you only want to cut again as long as you settled out and aren't having obvious withdrawal. Diarrhea is a wd symptom of Mirt, but if it were the ONLY one, you might be able to go ahead and cut again.

Just think of it this way: If you are having uncomfortable symptoms, that is a sign that your system has been destabilized by the cut, and to do another cut would only destabilize it further before it has had a chance to heal/adapt to the previous cut. It is very much a "listen to your body" situation. For those who aren't having significant wd symptoms, by all means get off as fasts as possible when you've only been on the drug for a month or less. Problem is, Mirt gets its hooks in pretty quickly, as short as two weeks.

The reason we have withdrawal coming off these drugs is due to dependency, though not the same as opiate addiction because with that type you have cravings. Nonetheless, the nervous system adapts to the presence of the drug by making modifications to the nerves to try to bring about homeostasis. This is actual remodeling, and so when you cut the drug you are left with those changes unopposed by the drug, which causes the symptoms until your system reverses the changes to match up with the new level. If you do too big of cuts, it is very destabilizing because it isn't just about that one neurotransmitter (serotonin) being adapted back, but all the others that have feedback loops with that one. It takes time for all the reverberations to settle out!

I worked my way up to 37.5 mg over the course of a few weeks and then was on it for 6 weeks with my symptoms worse, at which point Effexor was added back in. Turns out I was in withdrawal from Effexor, having come off it 8 months prior. At any rate, I wanted off the Mirt and learned about the 10% rule so began following a 10% taper. In hindsight I wish I had gone a little fast since I hadn't been on the drug that long, but I did experience wd even with 10% cuts though not severe.

You want to be successful, so listen to your body!

• Posted

I was on mirtazapine 15mg for 3 months. Doctor just took me off it cold turkey. told me I wont experience any withdrawal as I wasnt too long on it. How wrong was he. But some people dont have any side effects when they come off it. Why dont you consult it with your doctor ? you should never come off medications on your own.

• Posted

i have an appointment with my dr on Wednesday. She wants me to stay on 11.25 until our next visit. i'm afraid the more time passes by the longer it will be to come off. 😦

• Posted

Doctor took me off 15mg straight away. I was on it for 3 months. He claimed that I shouldnt suffer with any withdrawal as I didnt take it for that long. But I am quiet sensitive to medications.

• Posted

how long did your w/d symptoms last if you don't mind me asking ?

• Posted

Of course I dont mind. Gosh I dont remember now. Good 2 weeks. Do you have any benzos to help you to deal with withdrawal ? Every doc should prescribe short course of benzos to deal with things like that. 🙄nobody should suffer.

• Posted

no I don't, but I'm hoping I can endure it anyway. Thanks for all your help and tips. I am scared to try any other meds at this point, once I'm off I will be done with big pharma!!!

• Posted

you can do this. I felt the same as you. Wanted to stay off meds and managed 2 years. I did meditate, ha therapy, diet and excersise but I had to finally accept that I need something to take the edge off my depression and anxiety. Ive started Sertaline 11 days ago. And even though first few days were hard, I dont regret it. I can see difference in my mood etc. But I wish you all the best, and that you will manage without meds ❤

• Posted

Have you only been on mirtazapine for 3 weeks ? smaller dose of mirtazapine always works more sedative maybe thats why you experience all these symptoms. I doubt you will have withdrawal from being on it for 3 weeks. More likely you are still having side effects from mirtazapine which are all you have described.

• Posted

i actually been on MIRT for a total of 35 days. Started on 7.5 mg for 8 days. Then increased it to 15mg for almost 3 weeks, and currently on 11.25mg for 5 days.

i want to taper to 7.5mg tonight but dont know if i should or if it's too fast. it only helped with sleep temporarily, but stopped working. I dont want to increase the dosage, especially if it's a med that is hard to come off

• Posted

If you only have been on mirtazapine for 35 days I doubt you are having withdrawal. I think you are still suffering with side effects from it. And like I said before smaller dose, stronger drowsiness etc. You havent been on it for that long to experience strong withdrawal. Sooner you come off it then better. I personally dont see a point to taper it this slowly after 35days on it but Im not a doctor. Thats just my personal opinion.

• Posted

To taper down my advice is to listen to your feelings your having and if it feels right and your ready then taper down... But please TRY to avoid the scare storys as it wont help and of course every one is different so what works for you might not work for someone else.

• Posted

thank you Billy for your advice. I think whats holding me back from stopping cold turkey is the scary stories that i've been reading on here. i am actually avoiding coming on here because of that. I am down to 7.5mg. I'm thinking of going down to 3.5mg tonight.

• Posted

i seriously hear you. These stories are what gets your mind going and make your anxiety about it worse!

• Posted

billy did you take anything to help with your w/d's while you tapered?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.