How do you know when to switch?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I've been posting on here for quite awhile and I've hit a block again and not sure what to do, and thought it best to ask the people whom have been through all this for advice.

I've been on Citalopram for a total of 7 months now, I started out with 10mg for 5 weeks and 20mg for 22 weeks and reduced down to 15mg for a week. Now, I have had times of feeling a little better, and it has helped with anxiety at the 20mg but at that dose I had other things that were very troublesome that almost made it not worth not having the anxiety and panic attacks that I've dealt with for the past 20+ years such as: DP DR (pretty bad), emotionally numb, and just feeling really 'off'. Now, once I reduced to 15mg for the first week I felt pretty good, I had energy, I was going out and doing things, but still had that 'off' feeling, and now going into my 2nd week I'm starting to feel worse again, as well as my anxiety returning. So even at the points I felt the meds helping for the anxiety and panic attacks, I still had that awful weird feeling, almost like I was on auto pilot and living but in my head I felt strange. I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone else and I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. Now, mind you before I started taking it it was mostly extreme anxiety, and panic attacks, didn't have that really off feeling. So, do I continue taking it in hopes that it might go away, and the meds work or do I now consider switching?

Im sorry for the long post but I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i swapped off citalopram about 2 years ago to use mirtazapine and never looked back. but i had to switch as started having horrendous nightmares on a nightly basis in the end. not that mirtzapine doesnt have its own side effects but its a lot more effective for me

• Posted

HI, I was very simular to your situation, not sure which was the right dose & some days feeling numb & others feeling great I have found a balance that works well for me & its taking just 5 mg now around 7pm daily.

• Posted

Been on it almost five months now, 20mg. I have days when i feel almost normal then for no apparent reason all the pain ,headache, dry mouth comes back. Then i'm ok again.

Its bizarre..

• Posted

know exactly what you mean as thats how ive felt withdrawing also i was enotionally numb until i reduced to 6mg

• Posted

you are having withdrawals.

• Posted

did you try 10mg first? and did you have pain before you started the meds?

• Posted

I was on 10mg for a month then went to 20mg. I have awful muscle pain too, particularly in my legs.

Early morning the worst like most people.

I sometimes consider switching to something else.

What do you think ?

• Posted

Wow, five months!

I'm glad you've said its still early days as i feel i am still improving.

You think stick with it?

20mg??

• Posted

I feel like 7 months should be enough for it to be leveled off. I took the 20mg everyday for 6 months now.

• Posted

See that is my real question, when do you know its time to switch. I know that not every anti-depressant is for everyone but I also didn't want to give in too soon, I figured that 7 months should be plenty of time to know. I do feel like it helped the anxiety and panic attacks but the other symptoms that I got after I started it have been just as troublesome, if not worse. This is all so confusing, I just want to feel normal again. 😦

• Posted

and during the six months on 20 did you feel any improvement.?and why did you drop to 15?

• Posted

I did, with anxiety, and panic attacks but other things started after I started taking it such as DP DR, being emotionally numb, and feeling really 'weird' its hard to put in words so it helped with a couple things, but switched to new symptoms which are equally as bothersome. If I had to choose between which I would rather suffer with I would probably choose the anxiety that I am at least familiar with.

• Posted

when i reduced i started becoming me again, for many months i didnt even feel like my home was my home

• Posted

i reduced to ten from twenty .and that was more comforting for ma as far as side effects.all though side effects where there .they werent severe.i stay on that dose with lots of added drama side effects only because my initial anxiety symptoms the paresthesia was relief.and eventually it all settle for me in 8 months.

• Posted

there was a time in those 8months where i could not connect my feelings to any noun.

• Posted

Hi Lois

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing but when you reduced from 20 to ten did you feel lightheaded and if yes, how long did it last? I have been on a lower dose for 9weeks and am still feeling light headed from time to time. Thanks.

• Posted

That's interesting, I've been aching in my shoulder, knees and foot since reducing.

• Posted

from time to time i felt light headed .some days dizziness some days light head.especailly if i got up fast from bed.it lasted weeks.but they got less n less every week .one day i stay in bed all day because if i got up the room would spin .bizzare.

• Posted

Thanks Lois, that's the reassurance I needed. Hope your doing ok. Regards 😊

• Posted

Lois, just curious you said that you were also on 20mg at one point, how long were you on that before you decreased? Also, how long after decreasing did you feel back to normal?

• Posted

That is pretty much what I'm feeling, that and when I'm around friends and family it just doesn't feel right or the same. I just can't really put it into words how I feel. It is so troublesome, it feels like I'm losing my mind most the time but at the same time I'm functioning and acting normal, just not thinking that way. Ugh, I wish I could explain it better.

• Posted

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I think I do, if so that its the worst part of what is going on with me right now, and it bothers me so much... Things just feel so 'off' if that makes sense. If you could explain what you mean that would give me more hope then I have now, because I've been reading these forums for the past 7 months and no one ever explains that feeling, so I felt like the only one. 😦

• Posted

if you go on surviving antidepressants plenty on there describe it well, i find on here most have minimal withdrawal compared to on there

• Posted

but now you are taking 15 you started your process all over again.remember every time you fiddle with dose is like starting from the beginning .

• Posted

i was on twenty for ten days .i was also on withdrawals from my guinea pig stages of different antd.it took me 8 months to feel normal.it was very rough .your descriptions of your sideeffects where just like mine or perhaps worst .i say worst.the only difference from decreasing was less severe side effects.i stuck with celexa because it relief my initial anxiety symptoms.which was paresthesia of the scalp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.