How do you stay positive?

Posted , 4 users are following.

In pain. I know moving around will help, but I can't seem to bring myself to do anything.

I spend my work days sitting at my desk trying not to cry in pain, and my weekends on the sofa crying.

I know if I could just man up and start doing things I'd feel better, but I still don't. I'm not sure why.

Any tips?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi..

I know some times this disease can really make you feel like that. ..but you have to keep positive.  I have had rheumatoid dince I was 21..now 48!!!

I have just recently had major surgery on my spine from arthritis. But im getting ready to start getting active again. 

If you want to speak to me...I dont mind... x

• Posted

Are you under your local hospital. ? Have you spoken to your consultant?

Have you got your drugs sorted

What do you like doing ?

• Posted

Hi, its very sad to read when someone is in pain not just physically but sort of emotionally too. It could be down to depression or just being really low which can sap your energy and not make you feel like making the effort to do things. You do have to pace yourself, something I'm still having to learn to do, and accept you might not be able to do all the things you would like to do...or as quickly which can be frustrating. Personally I feel its important to concentrate on what you can do and acknowledge those achievements no matter how small. I hope you get your pain under better control and then you might feel more positive and have the energy to start moving around a bit more. I know for me when I have been very low and in pain its so easy to spiral down and vegetate away or as I used to say just be a blob on the sofa! I got to the stage I'd had enough and gave myself a good talking to and slowly started to make some small changes. It isn't always easy but its always possible to do something positive or useful everyday.I've not been well recently and it has been very frustrating because I was doing so well but I'm tryinto remember what I've achieved
    • Posted

Very true Debra..as I said im recovering from major surgery atm...been off work and unable to drive for the last 7 months. .with the thought that I might not get through. ..

But with the help and support of friends..family..and the medics. ..I have come out the other side. ...

You always have to remember however bad u feeling..There is always someone worse of than yourself. ..

"Indie kid" try to achieve one small step everyday..ni matter how small. .just think of it as something you didn't achieve yesterday. .

• Posted

Thanks. It's ok most of the time, I just need to find a way to lift me when I'm so low that I can't even bring myself to do stuff I enjoy. All I do then is sit and wonder if it's worth carrying on... (I'd never actually do anything, but just think about it sometimes)

So far the only thing that has been able to snap me out of one was when a colleague got injured at work and I had to go with them to a&e... Unfortunately that's not the kind of thing I can do on demand.

• Posted

Indie you could go and see your doctor be really honest and frank about your problems though this can be very hard to start doing they are not just there for the physical side
  • Posted

Thanks.

I don't actually have a proper diagnosis yet, and seeing as the last letter I got from my consultant had mistakes in my family history, current medication and gender, I'm not holding out much hope. (But one up from the last letter I got from the hospital, which contained someone else's colonoscopy results!)

If I see my gp then they'll get the wrong idea and I'll forever have mental illness on my record, and have to declare it every time I get insurance. They can't do anything about it anyway, it's just me being pathetic.

• Posted

I see where you are coming from. ..just ask the GP if they can do a blood test to check for RA..that is how i got my diagnosis confirmed..

Where are you in the country?

Dont worry about them claiming you got mental illness..better safe than sorry

• Posted

The RA blood test has a 5% false positive rate. Seeing as much less than 5% of the population have RA, a positive result is much more likely to be as false positive than RA.. 

Blood test tells me nothing without the medical expertise to judge whether the prior probability of me having RA is relatively high. sad

• Posted

Ok...what symptoms do you have apart from the lethary..I am an experienced rheumatoid sufferer with 3  individual operations under my belt..and 27 years of pain. .I know what im talking about !!!
    • Posted

Thanks but I really think I'm better off waiting for the results from the consultant. Otherwise I'll start developing the symptoms I think I should have, rather than listening to the ones I do have.

Already feeling a bit better, was just having a bad few days.

Just looking for any practical tips anyone has for trying to snap me out of lows when I have them really.

• Posted

Picking up on what you said about taking a colleague to A&E ....I think that can often be a big help in taking you away from your own problems a bit by being there for others.I know its not always possible to do especially if you are having a very painful spell. Anything from being a supportive friend, a caring parent/son/daughter, whatever...there is always someone who could benefit from a bit of kindness or time. It might sound a bit cheesy but I think its often much easier to do that than be on the receiving end. As for tips to help when you are low there are so many possibilities it just depends what sort of things you are interested in. I found writing helped & poetry which was an outlet for my feelings. I read every day too. When I had more energy I started walking just 30mins a day which really did a lot of good. I need to get out more as I work from home and can go days without seeing other people but im not a club joining person so I've got to find something that works for me...I hope you do too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.