How do your PACs/PVCs feel?

Posted , 56 users are following.

Hey all,

I've been having PACs and PVCs for about 5 years now, 21yo M who doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs (but I do have anxiety :p )

Anyway I wanted to talk to some people first hand about how theirs feels as I don't know anybody in real life who experiences these, so experiences would help ease my fear.

Mine kind of feel like a thump and then I get a massive anxiety rush and my heart beats faster, sometimes it will be mild and it feels more like someone presses on my heart for a second. But the big ones are like someone punches my heart and I have to recover, I'm a little worried it is Afib and not just benign PAC's/PVC's. I've had an ECG about 2 weeks ago and nothing showed, no hyper or hypothyroidism on my bloods, I have a 24 hour monitor tomorrow and I am considering having caffeine because the last time I had a monitor they barely even showed up.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jesse

im 25 M and have the exact same problem. To be honest you describe them almost exactly how I get them as well. I get the large thuds in my chest, which feel horrible and almost make my whole body stops for a second. Then I get ones where it's a lot less severe, almost fe as if my heart is hiccuping. 

Ive had loads of hospital appointments with no luck so far. Mainly because the biggest problem is actually trying to capture the irregular heartbeats when they happen. It's typical, my heart can be terrible all week then when I get put on a 24 hour monitor it becomes absolutely fine. I'd recommend you push for an implantable loop recorder. It's basically a small USB stick they insert under the skin and can monitor the heart rate for potentially years. Great if like me you've struggled to capture your symptoms.

Good luck and let me know how you're getting on

• Posted

I,m 46y old male. Born with Tetrology of Fallot(TOF). Had it repaired.

Had AFIB also (more info on my profile about my heart history).

I also have had PAC's (Ectopic beats), and did some research about it, and what I could do to try and pevent it.

My experience was that it felt like my heart was to "big" and that I could "feel" it on my stomach.

I felt so stupid to try and explain to my cardiologist that it sometimes felt like my heart "changed gears'(that hard thump). I only later found out that it was the PAC/Ectopic heartbeat.

Research also shows that your Vagas nerve has an influence on your PAC's.

Some of the tips I have wrote about on my blog is:

1. Simple breathing exercise

2. Burping

3. Keep your bowels moving

4. Get more Magnesium 

The doctors mostly say the PAC's are harmless, but it scares the daylights out of me and I would rather try and avoid them.

• Posted

I have found magnesium helpful & take a daily suppliment now.

• Posted

Hi Miriam

I have started with Epsom Salt bath's now and then, and also use "Slowmag" now and then, but also thinking of taking a daily suppliment.

• Posted

It's definitely weird Ruth a try because it's good for nerves etc. Recommend one with Vit B6. 

I quite fancy an Epsom salts bath!

Good luck

• Posted

Hello. I'm new here. I decided to join because I'm tired of suffering through this alone. I'm tired of the constant fear and anxiety my PVCS cause.

I had my first episode last year while at church camp as a counselor. I was out in the middle of a lake in a canoe with one of the campers when it happened. I thought I was having a heart attack!! I kept telling myself I had to remain calm so I didn't scare my camper and still try to help her row back to shore. Longest trip of my life!!

Since then I've learned it's just something I have to deal with. Mostly I fight a battle in my mind when it happens. I'm sure I don't even need to explain what I mean to y'all! However, I feel like not talking about it only adds to my anxiety over it. I'm glad I found this group!

• Posted

Hi Rzdoucet

A problem shared they say! Welcome. I've found it so useful too & also picked up a few tips. It's suck a sneaky condition isn't it? I can be fine then suddenly off they go. It's as if they're reminding me not to get complaisant! I presume you've had checks etc? I no longer touch caffeine & take magnesium supplements but other than that keep exercising & try not to stress & I have to say they don't dominate my life now.

All the best to you.

Miriam

• Posted

Hi Rzdoucet

Most of the time it was a"battle in the mind" for me, not to freak out!. I have coined a phrase "thoughtarrest technique" based on scripture, and blogged about it, to try and manage my thoughts. 

I know it is very important to talk about these heart issues, it has helped me -- a lot!

• Posted

I try to take every thought captive, but sometimes it's hard!!

• Posted

I've been having these skipped heart beats for over a year now feels like ur heart stops n re pumps again but I can get 4 in a row its so scary n u feel like it's the end ..i dont smoke hardly drink 1 coffee a day I do have 2 kids n anxity but my anxity seems great atm...these skipped heart beats only happen when im relaxed .. ive had blood test holter moniter on ecg the ultrasound one done x-ray been in hospital all test come back clear but I still fear something is not right always worried when my next one will hit I seriously don't wish this on anyone its the worst ever ..

• Posted

Hello Nikki I had an ablation procedure when I was about 17-18 years old for SVT (Supra ventricular tachycardia) . I am now 30 years old and also experience a lot of skipped heart beats (PVC's and PAC's) I have also been to the hospital plenty of times and have had chest x rays, EKGs, heart monitors and everything checked out normal. I also get aniexty but have been working on it and can kinda control it a little bit now. My advice to everyone on here is to first definitely get it checked out and if everything comes back clear then just try to ignore it when it happens. I have found exercising works and also try to change your diet. 

Always stay positive! ??

• Posted

I’m experiencing the SAME thing! It sucks doesn’t it! I’ve had them for a year and mostly feel like a skipped beat followed by a very forceful beat sad it’s scary as hell and I’ve had tests done and my doctor says I’m “fine”  I’m trying certain things to see if I can find triggers although it seems to happen out of nowhere. Keep in touch! I’m taking magnesium but doesn’t really seem to be helping that much
    • Posted

I have them too, I really hate them. But I've had them for 25 years and they haven't gotten me yet! I always feel like I have to sit down and stop doing things when they happen. 

• Posted

Hi,

I have had panic disorder and anxiety since 4 I'm now 53. I have suffered with this since I was abt 24. At 49 I was diagnosed with Afib. Backing up at 21 I was diagnosed with tachycardia. Before anyone panics pacs and pvcs can happen to anyone and usually do. Not everyone feels them. Afib is distinctly different for me. It's like when you overload a washer and it tries to spin out but it's all over the place. The other is more like skips, thuds, pauses. First of all have a holter monitor for as long as your doc will give you one. My afib was caught 7 days in. Rule out structural problems then know anxiety is aggravating it if everything comes out good. Avoid caffeine, smoking, too much sugar, exercise, keep stress in check and I've been told magnesium taureate is excellent for pvcs and pacs. Also hydration is key and coconut water does wonders. I've had them for 3 weeks now! The weather changes trigger me too. Relax and BREATHE??????????

• Posted

I get ectopic beats followed by a short run of fast heartbeats.   I often get several of these in a row with sinus rhythm in between, every minute, at the moment it has been happening for 6 days.   Somtimes they are pounding which is horrible. I am told it is an ectopic beat followed by a short run of SVT each time.   It seems to get worse with exercise, just walking upstairs can make it worse.   Eating also makes it worse or can start it off.  I also have had what I think are a couple of runs of AFib.  Had a 24 holter yesterday, but of course the AFib didnt happen.  My heartbeat was all over the place with the suspected AFib.

I have been very anxious about things recently, dont think this has helped.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.