How does a high igA level in the blood decrease bone density?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis( T-score -4.3) and my endocrinologist attributes it to a high level of igA in my blood ( 4.32), because the only risk factor is my age( 76). Other than this, I don't present any other of the typical risk factors normally associated with o.p. In fact I am very active, I go to the gym, swim, jog and windsurf without ever having any problem.. 

She tried to explain how high igA affects bone density, but I could not quite understand, even in broad term, even though I am very well educated and usually if a medical problem is explained adequtely, I understand very well. 

She  prescribed Risendronate, which I am hesitant to embark upon for fear that the side effects may  offset the advantages.  

Can anybody help to unravel the link between igA ( high) and osteoporosis?

Thanks

Ittiamdro

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have checked why a defiency in igA should have a real bearing on your bone structure which could cause osteoporosis, this needs to be explained to you in a clear way so that you can understand it, what treatments have they offered you to correct it, its not common for adults to be inflicted with this problem.

I would ask if there are any other meds they can offer you specifically for the osteoporosis, ie how's your vitamin D and calcium levels

• Posted

Have you broken any bones? If not, then the answer is pretty easy!

Check your calcium and vitamin D3 levels for a start.

Then take some magnesium and vitamin K2 to help support your bones.

Food wise, have leafy greens, salmon, grass fed meat, yoghurt, cucumber, fruit and vegetables and all round good diet.

My worst tscore is -4.3 lower spine and I have resisted taking AAor any other osteoporosis drug. I have difficulty swallowing at times and very reluctant to start on any of the drugs. 

It is great that you are active at 76. If you do not have arthritis or other health issues you are very lucky. I do not know your whole story though!

I am going to research igA as I have no knowledge of this so will comment again when I have.

• Posted

Do you have chronic infections? Any sign of rheumatoid arthritis? Lupus? 

igA High can read about if you type in igA.

I cannot see the connection to osteoporosis but your doctor may just think it could have some bearing as it affects a range of things.

If you feel well then you are fine and should not worry too much.

I have markers on my blood tests too which we can only guess at their meaning and connections.

What I do watch is vitamin D levels and calcium, etc.

I did not do a lot of reading about igA but if you do it will help with your understanding.

Age is a challenge for sure but you sound good with the fact of your exercise abilities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.