How does having scoliosis affect you mentally and physically?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I was diagnosed at the age of 11 I didn't see the point in going in for the operation as I was confident with my body image however as I got older it changed and I became more wary of my back condition so I thought an operation may be a good choice which it was, I am now more confident than ever and physically I can do everything.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm being assessed for surgery on my scoliosis, didn't even know I had one until about 5 years ago. I'm now just turned 60, were you young when you had your op? How is your back now? How long was your hospital stay, and how was your recovery?  Many thanks Lucie

• Posted

Hiya,

I was diagnosed at the age of 11 with a 52 degree curve and I had my operation when I was 13 with a degree of 64. My back is so much straighter now and I also realised the first time I stood up after my operation how much easier it was to breath and I could get so much more air into my lungs.

This may not relate to you due to our difference in age when I had my op. I am now 17 and I am so happy about how it went, I don't feel my scoliosis pain anymore and I'm so much more confident in myself.

I was in hospital for a week and since then I have worked in a butchers which involves hard duty work, and I am about to do a scuba diving course too. 

Have you ever tried bracing? I never tried wearing a brace but if an operation isn't an option then that may be a good choice.

Let me know if you need any more help or have any more questions smile 

• Posted

Hi Lucie,

I have followed your posts on this forum and was wondering if you decided whether or not you are considering scoliosis surgery or if you have had the surgery?

I am scheduled for surgery in February and am trying to connect with others going through similar fears and frustrations coping with scoliosis.

Take care.

Cheryl

• Posted

Hiya Cheryl, I am more than happy to discuss my operation experiences with you in order to make the process a bit easier, i had the op when i was 13 and i am now 17 i would be happy to help you with any questions or concerns as i have been in contact with others going through it too smile

Emily

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.