how does it work?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've just caved in and asked for help from Leicester Rape Crisis after 2 weeks lack of sleep and complete fear at all the flashbacks I'm seeing. When i did ring they mentioned mindfulness, but I've never heard of it and don't know how it works, does anyone on here know or has heard of it? Please help i really am struggling!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam - not sure if you got any help on this yet??? I used to work in a centre in Thailand and India for 15 years and our way of life there was to practice mindfulness. Its basically self-awareness  We were told to imagine its like you're holding a torch but shining it back into yourself. You can be mindful / aware of the body, mindful of feelings, mindful of the mind - we often in the west think the mindis in our brains but in asia, its taught the mind is all throughout our body. The easiest thing to begin with is using the 'torch' example and focus on what you like. Alongside mindfulness you have to also be very patient and enduring.... that's because as I have found, we have feelings that come out (and have to come out). Its hard to find help for these kind of things, as for me I had a near fatal accident in june that I cant even remember (had a severe impact to the head and broke my neck in 7 places) but even though the bones are mended now I get anxiety, and what I am sure must be PTSD. I am now having to do 'self-rehab' because I can't find any help. That means I am really aware of whats going on and watching it all - but even so, I have to endure the fear, the sacredness the anxiety and try not to identify with it as me but as a separate entity. Its not easy but this is the mindfulness I was taught --- hope you find it helpful xxx

• Posted

Hi Sam, 

How are you getting on? 

There are a lot of apps you can get on your phone with guided mindfulness exercises as well as on youtube. 

Well done you for asking for help, its not easy! 

Charl x

• Posted

Hi Charl I don't have a phone which accepts apps as it's an old phone.  I have looked at Mindfulness but my doctor won't try that she will only accept antidepressants!  I will ask my counsellor, is there any way I can get to use mindfulness some other way?

• Posted

Hi Sam - I also have PTSD and 'mindfulness' has been very helpful.  Also the book "The Body Keeps the Score by bessel Van Der Kolk.  This psychologist is amazing - his book basically described my personality to a T.  He's got some great talks on youtube.  Here's one:

Drink plenty of water, try simple yoga, mediation too.  Hope thishelps!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Celiac thanks very much I will see if I can borrow the book from my library. X
    • Posted

Hi Sam, unfortunately the post above that has my name on it is not mine - my original message was edited by a moderator for some reason, weird.  But still, hope you find some relief.
    • Posted

Oops sorry Celia on computer yesterday playing up constantly took 3 go's to get any comment on anyway. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.