How does mesh withstand body growth?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in my early 20s and need to have an inguinal hernia repaired. My surgeon says she'll do an open repair and will use a polypropelene mesh. How does it withstand body growth? I'm pretty sure I'll get bigger as I approach my 30s. As far as I understand the mesh does not stretch. Would this create any risk for me?

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have an incisional hernia repair with mesh.  I have recently been in hospital with problems associated with the mesh.  I am in a lot of discomfort and personally would not recommend it but there are others for whom it has worked really well.  I know this may not help much, but if can find a urgeon to repair your hernia without the use of polypropylene mesh in cluding anchors and sutures you may be better off.  A lot of lawsuits going on at the moment against mesh manufacturers, some big payouts at the moment, manly for pop and Sui, but it is the same mesh used in hernia repairs.  There is some evidence that mesh should not be transplanted into humans.
  • Posted

I would say avoid Mesh... Because no study had done on impact of mesh long term.. I mean 20 to 30 years down the line. Judge yourself... Mesh has lower recurrence from 2 to 5% over a period of 3 years but around 20 to 30% chronic pain. Non Mesh has recurrence of 10 to 20% depends upon surgeon experience but less than 1% chronic pain... You are young so your muscle would be strong non mesh is good... in case it fails you can go for mesh...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.