How does RLS affect YOU?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm wondering if anybody else out there is affected by RLS in the same way I am.  It's very specific.  Only when I'm falling asleep, my foot will jerk, sometimes rapidly, followed by the whole leg making a violent jerk.  There is no sleeping thru that.  Once it starts, I know I'm in for a long night because it does not stop.  Even if it does, then the other leg will start doing it.  (There is that creepy-crawly sensation a microsecond before the jerks, but I can't stop it from happening.)  This started in the early '80's with mild episodes 2 or 3 times a week but has increased strongly over the years.

I have incredible empathy for anyone suffering from this affliction / curse and pray daily that the true cause will soon be identified. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes I get that also, it is relates to Restless Leg Syndrome, and it is called, Periodic Leg Movement or PLM. I have tried putting my leg in very cold water, in bathroom sink, or draped over the bath. The cold water shocks the nerves. This may sound rather, perverse, but if you are nimble enough, lifting the leg, holding the leg under the knee. Then stroking the foot gently, your foot will jerk. Keep doing till the nerves have stopped jumping. Then the other leg. I also find turning onto my front in bed, the leg cannot jump then. Some nights I will do all these things, starting with the cold water then the stroking, then lay on your front in bed. 

I am also now watching what I eat. As I am alergic to carrots on my skin, I found when peeling them, I would come up with a rash, since also deciding to cut them recently from my diet, I have less of the jumping. It is very difficult, especially when one is very tired, so you have my full sympathy.  

Regards Maureen

• Posted

Thank you Maureen, I'll keep those tactics in mind.  I used to be able to overcome it eventually, but as I age ... not so easily done.  I take requip now, it works well enough, but I'm trying to find a more natural solution.
  • Posted

Hiya,my father has the same problem,we didn't know what to do,got a reply from 'MRSMOP' she came up with sound advice,read her reply to me,I'll be trying it soon.
    • Posted

Thanks Michael, I will do that as well as a prayer for your father ... nobody deserves this affliction / curse.
  • Posted

hi Martin yes that's exactly what it is go to your doctor and get the tablets for it I have been on tablets for five years now I started on pramopecole but I had to keep upping the dose for them to work it's called augmentation so then I had to come off gh and start ropinarole which sre even better my life is so much better now go and get some asap  regards coral
    • Posted

Thank you for the input, that's exactly what I've done.  My "leg quakes" are so severe and so frequent that he started me on 4mg Requip (ropinerol).  It's messing with my stomach a little bit but that's nothing compared to the sleep depravation.  I believe the root of the problem to be a Dopamine deficency, and there doesn't seem to be many options to fix that.
  • Posted

Wow that's quite a high dose to start with I have been started on 25 mg per pill and I take them when I start to feel it coming on I get s pain in my arm first then my legs start to jump as soon as I take the pill it works within 15 mins if I get up and walk abit when I take it my neurologist has told me to up the mg dose when required also they have put me on iron tablets because my ferretin  level is only 12 and doctors in usa are teaching the general practitioners that a person suffering with rls their feratin level should not be under 50 so I am taking those as well I have tried everything else the pills are perfect for me 

regards coral

• Posted

Thinking of asking him to drop it to 3.  One whole pill is a bit too much, but when I break them in half ... not quite enuf to get me thru the night.  As soon as it starts to wear off, my feet are chomping at the bit to make my life miserable :P
    • Posted

You're lucky it takes affect that fast.  Takes mine about an hour but then, I have to take it with a little bit of food.  Not sure what my levels are, did the bloodwork last week.  In the meantime putting my Nutri-Bullet to work blending Iron rich fruits & veggies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.