How does the Menopause affect COPD/Asthma?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had COPD for 6 years, however i feel it has been affecting my breathing more. I have found a couple of medical articles which reiterate this, but my own doctor doesnt know anything. I am 80% plant based diet, i take specific supplements to suport both COPD and menopause and try to exercise when i can. And i drink lots of water. I have read that HRT can help. Does anyone know anything about this issue please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

menopause is a separate issue to COPD and asthma.

Menopause can be for some women a major change in life, physiologically and emotionally and stress situations impact on breathing.

The main thing I would say regarding menopause is its a time when bone thinning can occur more rapidly and definitely not good if you take any oral steroids during this time.  I would say HRT will help protect the bones during the menopause.  Chat with your doctor maybe get your vitamin D levels checked, if you are deficient possibly a Calcium and vitamin D3 suppliment will be prescribed as well as HRT.

The diet for lung health is mentioned on the BLF site British Lung Foundation, plant based diet is all well and good but its essential the body gets enough protein.  Search BLF website for Eating Well with a lung condition.

• Posted

Yes I know they are separate issues. However the menopause is impacting on my lungs. Iv had nickel coils implanted last year as part of a trial. I take vit d3 already. My diet is very good 80% plant based. I am going to see my Dr and discuss medical papers iv found on the net. It's been cited how HRT can help with breathing issues connected to COPD. Thanks for your reply

• Posted

Hello,

I believe that yes other health issues do impact those of us with COPD in spite of what the experts say. Weight problems for instance can put an added strain upon the Heart/Lungs. A health issue like an oral infection or a gastrointestinal disorder may require a patient to take antibiotics counter the condition. Those drugs, while dealing with the additional illness, can/do also attack other medical problems at the same time. 

I also read that diet can serve as an aid to COPD patients. Certain Fruits and Nuts can help COPD patients to lead a more healthy life. I'll admit that I need do better with my own diet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.