How does this lifestyle correspond to this TSH level?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

I recently had a blood test done and found out my TSH level is at 5.09 mIU/L. I am a 20 Year old Male, I weigh 190 pounds and I am 6'2. I exercise 4-5 times a week doing cardio/strength training. I watch what I eat and am sure to have a balanced diet. I take Nutrilite Double X (Strong Certified High End Multivitamin), Concentrated Fruits and Vegetables, Omega 3, Joint Health/Vision Health with Lutein. I also have been on 20mg Amphetamine Salts (Adderall) for over 5 years due to ADHD. 

My HDL was at 48, a bit lower than I want but everything else was good. 

I used to be overweight when I was younger until 15 years old. 

I have smoked/drank when I was 15-19 but I have completely stopped for the past year. 

My family has had a plethora of Thyroid issues, my mother got hers removed. 

I work in a sales at a call center and I am on the phone 5 days a week for at least 4-5 hours. I try to maintain my voice by using cough drops and other Oral Demulcents. Recently my left eye has felt a thumping every few hours, almost like a heart beat, very light but seems to be getting more mild. 

I sleep 4-5 hours every night, and wake up early to workout. 

If there is any suggestions, advice, explanations, I would be very open to hear. Thank you so much in advance. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well, why did you get tested, and what did your doctor say. Your TSH is outside the generallybaccepted normal range, making you hypothyroid. Given the family history that's probably the case. I would suggest getting tested for Hashimoto's antibodies.

• Posted

Hello, first thing, take a look at the side effects of your other meds, as it may contribute to thyroid disease. Also do some research in this to find out if many other people on this medication encounter thyroid issues.

You mention you were overweight as a child? Were you on any meds then that would have caused this?

ive.tive. You mention family history. I also have a family history. However, while genetics and similar family lifestyles can contribute, you can't do anything about the genetics. It's up to you to have a different lifestyle, which it seems you've done well with, from a health perspective.

The one thing I feel was super key in my family that contributed to thyroid disease was the belief that meat is unhealthy. My grandfather passed away at 45 from a sudden heart attack and the family reduced their consumption of red meat and continued this practice for generations. I feel the low protein diet is very unhealthy and contributes to thyroid disease.  When I was young, I was actually able to get my thyroid disease into remission, and I feel it was in great part due to changing my diet to higher protein, and cleansing.

My concern is that you are very young having these issues. In addition to genetic redispositiin and lifestyle, thyroid disease can be triggered by environmental toxins, chemical exposure and radiation. And in fact, this exposure is generally what triggers thyroid disiease, even with a genetic component. So cleansing can be extremely helpful in reversing thyroid disease.

Another thing that is extremely helpful is avoiding allergenic. Immune triggers in your. Diet such as wheat, rye, corn, dairy, soy, gluten products. Thyroid disease is generally autoimmune in nature, so reducing the load on your immune systems also reduces flairups that can contribute to thyroid disease.

When my thyroid disease flailed up later, I found amino acids to be very helpful, as well as acupuncture in reducing symptoms and managing thyroid disease in general.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Interesting on the protein concept, as I have eaten a low protein diet myself all my life, and still do now.
  • Posted

Interesting indeed. I just got back from a visit to my endocrinologist and he told me that you do need the protein for the amino acids it contains, whether as meat or protein supplements like those some athletes take.
  • Posted

Chad,

I agree with Katherine's response in regard to food allergins and autoimmune thyroid dysfunction.  Your long term Adderall use may also be a contributing factor.  Drugs that mimic catacholamines (adrenaline/epinephrine or noradrenaline) can increase TRH which increases thyroid production by increasing TSH.  Alcohol and cold exposure can also stimulate these pathways.  This may stress the thyroid over time, especially with a genetic thyroid predisposition...Your 4-5 hours of sleep may also have caused either thyroid or adrenal stress over time.  How do you feel?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.