How fast can diverticula develop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past few days I have noticed a tender spot on my left side under my rib that's sore to touch, at the same time I have been extremely gassy. After a bowel movement last night my stomach went crazy with rumbling and pain, it is still rumbling a lot today but without pain except for the tender spot still hurting when I touch around that area also worth noting that I'm not having diarrhea.

I'm curious if this is diverticulitis or something else - and the reason I ask how fast diverticula takes to develop is because I had a colonoscopy 2-3 years ago and that was clear. Could diverticula develop that fast or is it more likely this is something else? Also I'm 29years old.

Cheers!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good Heavens!

'Gee'  - don't ever try to get 'diagnosed' on a single-agenda forum like this - full of lifelong amateurs!   See your GP as soon as convenient.  You describe symptoms  that could be anything abdominal.  Complicated no end if you happen to be female, btw!

I hope your GP is approachable.

Cheers,

Pete.

• Posted

Hi Pete,

Will give it few days and see how it goes from there, if it persists will book app - although I'm still curious about how long it takes for pouches to develop, can't really find any info about that online.

• Posted

Pete's right, you should always talk to the professionals for a proper diagnosis.  We are not the experts, just a bunch of Diverticular Disease sufferers sharing tips on how to get along.  My understanding is that generally speaking diverticular disease shows up more often in people older than 29.  I say generally as nothing is cast in stone here, but for that reason, and the fact you had a clear colonoscopy  before,  I think you should definately see your doctor if it doesn't clear in a day or two.

Alex

• Posted

From reading other peoples experiences, I can totally see that mine symptoms are sooo light and could mean anything - the thing that made me look here is that specific sore to touch area on left side - the pains seems localised very close to the surface as opposed to below, so might just be bruising I guess.
  • Posted

Hi Gee - Everyone is different.  In my case, a colonoscopy in 2008 revealed mild to moderate diverticula in my decending colon.  A month ago my colonscopy showed that I had mild to moderate diverticula through my entire colon.  My bowels were regular all my life until 2004 when I started dealing with awful constipation.  I'm not a doctor, and no doctor has told me this, but I think constipation is at the root of my problem.  

Right now I'm dealing with uncomfortable diverticulosis and finding some relief with slippery elm.  Tonight I started regurgitating the slippery elm (I have a hiatal hernia too), and I'm feeling very nervous because this hasn't happened before and I don't know what to do about.  But I'm getting off the topic....

I hope you will see your doctor soon and get some answers.

Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.