How fast do fibroids grow? The normal vs the fast?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone's experience is with how slow/fast they grow? 

I know everyone is different but I'm trying to gain a baseline of what would be considered "normal" "fast" "really fast". In a general sense I guess. So little info out there, we're each our own Enclyopedia of Fibroids for eachother. wink 

I don't know when mine first developed. But I know it's grown exponentially this year because last year I didn't know I had it, couldn't see or feel anyhting wrong etc

In 3rd October it was 10.5cm diameter. Just did another ultrasound, 12 Dec, and it's 11.5cm. That's 1 cm in 2 months. Seems very fast? Although I'm sure ultrasounds aren't precise and it could be a different angle/perspective.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There really is no right answer. Per my doctor you can have multiple ones where one grows and one shrinks. Mine grew quite quickly over one year, they were tiny for years.

My dr suggested an MRI to really see them, and they look normal per MRI

If they affect you take them out,

It's a confusing situation some times they depress me and sometimes i completely forget about them.

Nice to have this forum where we can all share

• Posted

H Jess

​It varies enormously as you say, but I know that mine grew really fast. I chose to have mine removed privately and when I was originally assessed in February 2013, my uterus was the approximate size of a 20 week pregnancy. However, by the time I had the operation to remove it in May 2013 it had grown to 28 weeks size and I was taking Esmya during that time! Even so, my amazing surgeon managed to move it via a laparascope, leaving my uterus and ovaries intact!

• Posted

I had an ultrasound last year that measured one fibroid at 6.7cm.

A few weeks ago I had two ultrasounds within a week of each other because one was a straight up transvaginal ultrasound and the other was supposed to be part of a saline infused sonogram, which never happened.  They were only able to do the ultrasound part.

Anyway, according to my doctor, the report from the first ultrasound said my fibroid was 9cm.  The one a week later said 7cm. The doctor said she doubted there was that much change in a week. 

I have no idea what the margin of error is, or if the fact that the second ultrasound was done without me drinking water had an effect.  I suspect there are many variables.

• Posted

Hi Jess

Yes I've experienced discrepancies with my scans too. My last scan in September said I had fibroid (s) one is 1cm the other 3cm submucosal . Then I had a hysteroscopy last Friday to remove the 3cm submucosal fibroid but the surgeon said he couldn't remove it in the end because it's not submucosal it's intramuscular and it measures around 6cm. So I was flabbergasted! And I thought, so what's the point of bloody ultrasound! I wonder if MRI would show less discrepancies, but this is probably more difficult to ask to get.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 1cm because my dr told me it depends on how "clear" your uterus is looking at the time of the scan and this depends on when your cycle is. (This was a year ago when my first scan said 1.5cm and then in 6months time it went to 2.5) I don't fully trust the doctors that I am dealing with at the moment so I don't know if she told me that to shut me up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.