How fast do you lose weight with malabsorption?

Posted , 6 users are following.

How fast has weight loss happened to you and what helped you gain weight?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria, weight loss for me was pretty much steady, yet subtle.  I'd say i bottomed out after about six months.  However, I started taking over the counter enzymes and gained it all back within a couple of weeks.  Now my doctor has prescribed Creon which works just the same as far as i'm concerned but cheaper for me since my insurance is covering it.  But everyone is going to be different as far as this goes...I'm pretty sure.  It depends on the status of the pancreas.  Please feel free to ask anything, I've been through a lot with my pancreas yet very thankful it's still working to the extent that I'm not diabetic.  If you want to keep in touch with me, I'd probably need some more information as far as if it is the the pancreas causing your issue and what the diagnosis is.  Take care and God bless.

• Posted

Hi! I asked this question here because I know many people with pancreatic disorders suffer from malabsorption. As for now, I’ve not had enough tests to be able to tell what’s wrong with me, but many people tell me it’s a gallbladder problem. The reason I’m worried is because my stool is very stinky and loose and I’ve dropped 2 kg in the past 2 months (or less than 2 months) with no apparent reason and I’m worried I’m gonna keep losing.
  • Posted

I have malabsorption from the Whipple surgery I had 12/2016. I'm 5'1 and left the hospital 120 pounds. Now currently, I am between 85 and 95 pounds. Due to 40% of my small intestine being taken out, I'm not going to get much bigger. I was 105 but got the flu and lost more weight. I had a divisum. I don't have cancer. I am malnourished, but I eat and drink ensure. I'm 48 and I do the best that I can . I work full time, am married and have a 13 yr old daughter. My pain is so much less, so I feel blessed but I am tired a lot due to malabsorption. AND So tired of hearing, "You need to gain weight or you ate so lucky to be so thin". Eat nutritious things, see a dietitian and keep the faith.

• Posted

I’m 5’1 as well and I was 45kg just a month and a half ago which is a normal weight for my height but now I’m down to 43kg and I’m scared it’s gonna keep going down. I’ve been calculating my calories and I’ve definitely been eating enough so I’m worried. 

I hate ate it too when people tell me to gain weight, it’s not like it’s that easy. It’s so much easier to lose weight, people just don’t get that. I hope I’ll figure out what’s wrong with me and see what I can do to keep my weight up.

• Posted

I sympathise maria.  I am a 5'7" female and now weigh 116 lbs = 8st3lbs=53kgs.

I was 64 kgs=141 lbs=10 stone a year ago.

I really don't want to lose more weight, my rings are dropping off my fingers now.

I do have a few other symptoms and hope to see a Gastrointestinal consultant next week for some tests.

Have you considered a thyroid problem?  That can cause weight loss.  Also undiagnosed diabetes could cause weight loss.  Both worth getting checked out.

As to gaining weight - let me know if you find out how to do this.

best wishes

• Posted

I have other symptoms like abdominal pain and nausea so it must be a gastric disorder. I think the only way to gain weight is to find out what problem we have and try to treat it. Do you have any food intolerances? If you are a coeliac and eat a rich in gluten diet that could be the cause. But that’s just an example. Are you sure you eat as much as you’re supposed to? We sometimes eat less than we think. I really hope you’re going to find out what’s wrong and be able to gain weight. Keep me updated if you wish.
  • Posted

I lost 45 lbs in 6 weeks. Everyone’s body is different.  Depends really on everything going on within your body. 

You needs tests to determine if that’s even what is effecting your weight. 

Hoping you find answers. See a good GI Dr.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.