How frequent are your auras?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive suffered from migraine aura for about two years. there isnt any real pattern to how frequent they are but usually around once a month. Recently they have been every week. If you experience auras , how often are they occurring?

Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I suffered with migraine auras from the time I was 30. I am now 65. During that time, they have been all over the place on frequency. Sometimes one every few months, sometimes several times a month. I've even had two in the same day before. They were always followed by horrible headaches until I was in my 50's. Then I started getting lesser of a headache with each one. After a while I got mostly the aura without a headache. I went gluten free a little over three years ago for other reasons and after a couple of years, I pretty much quit having them. That is, until just after Thanksgiving this past year. I have had a total of three, but I think I pretty much traced it to something that I ate each of those times. Each time it was after I had eaten some jerk chicken, so I think there was something in the sauce. Either gluten or MSG, both of which I'm sensitive to. I would suggest keeping a diary of what you eat and when you get a migraine, write down other things that have been happening. Stress, food, posture, etc. All of those things can be triggers. Hope this helps.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. my auras started when i turned 30 also. its has taken me a while to accept them as initially i had alot of anxiety about them.

did you ever take any medication to prevent them?

• Posted

I used to get a lot of anxiety about them, but I finally accepted them for what they were and knew they would pass soon. I didn't want to waste my good days worrying about them. I also learned that anxiety during or surrounding the migraine is a symptom in and of itself. They have found that migraines are often caused by a drop in seratonin, which also causes anxiety. I finally got to where I would rest my eyes until it would go away if I could, but sometimes I had to just keep doing what I was doing and work right through it. It wasn't easy, but it did give me power over it. I never took preventative meds for them. I take as few meds as I can.

• Posted

I've had auras since my mid twenties, at first very rarely but they've increased as I approach menopause. At worst 11 in a month, I have had both hemispheres go into migraine aura on the same day and the same side have one aura after another. Usually I have 4 or 5 auras a month, mostly visual but some dizzy ones too.

• Posted

Do you end up with headaches after? is there anything that teiggers yours? i am trying to figure out what may be triggering mine.

• Posted

No I've never had a headache (yet). There's no pattern to my actual period but in my family it seems to be the overall hormone change as you get older. Stress and over tiredness play a part too. I couldn't get on with migraine preventative meds either.

• Posted

ive suffered from migraine aura since i was 3 years old. I am now 22 and have continuously been having on average about 1 -2 auras every week or every 2 weeks which leaves me completely stuck in bed dizzy, vomiting, slurred speech, blurred vision and unable to move for about 3-5 days. This has been my life for 19 years so far and im only 22 so i havent had much of a life:( Sometimes on bad weeks ill get 3 auras a day for about 2-3 days then be in bed for about a week until i recover from it. It's horrible, but ive tried various medications since i was 11 and nothing has any effect on me unfortunately 😦

• Posted

I had my first aura four months ago at 43. I had never heard of an aura before, so it was quite terrifying when it was happening. I had two more within days of the first. I have had all sorts of visual disturbances since having the auras. It has really changed my life and not in a good way. I have severe anxiety about having another one. My neurologist said he sees many women my age for the first time. I am assuming there is a perimenopause connection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.