how good was your doctor with your anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I first went to my doctors with the symptoms I now know to have been caused by anxiety it took me seeing three doctors to be finally diagnosed with it.

I know GPs have a limited knowledge on mental health problems in general but the first two doctors I saw dismissed it immediately even when I asked if anxiety was the problem.

Happily the third and the youngest doctor I saw was great and I still see him to this day.

He immediately referred me to the mental health team in my area and at that time in my life almost certainly saved my life...I owe him a lot and although it's his job he really does care and never rushes an appointment..I see him every 2 months for my meds and tells me if I need someone to talk to then I only have to make an appointment at anytime for a chat...it's people like him that makes me want to get better.

I've talked to other people who say they'd love a doctor like mines as theirs either don't understand or gives them "the pull yourself together" advice.

Anyone else had experiences like that?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My panick attacks started out of the blue i ended up in casualty and they told me what it was and send me home..for a few days after I was having awful symptoms and was so frightened as these were different to the attack it was actual symptoms I had and I couldn't understand it I thought I was dying they were that bad...I mad an appt with my gp and she said the symptoms were all anxiety related which was a relief (I think) to hear...she did full bloods to rule other things out and referred me to cardiology as a precaution...as there was a wait for any kind if therapy on the nhs she got me the name of a girl who I could attend privately and it wasn't overly expensive at all and she never once tried to force meds on me but after the 4th week she did give me 2mg of diazepam to take the edge off and I was grateful as by now I was struggling she also made me an appt every week to come in to see how I was getting on..,I was with her this morning and I said I was ready for meds as I've tried myself this past few months to beat this but it's not easy so today I took my first pill and I feel ok about it as it was my choice....she still wants me in every week for the next while to check progress....so I can honestly say from day 1 I have been supported and allowed to make my choice and be happy with it from my gp I couldn't have asked for better 😄
  • Posted

Hi john my doctor was rubbish after years of suffering it nearly took my life from me it was only when my body started to shut down I got help but I was fortunate to be able pay for it privately the ironic thing is I just got an appointment with a clinical physciatrist after a 3yr waiting list still not seen a nutritionist because I also developed an eating disorder so it looks like I am going to have to pay for that too

i am glad you have finally got the help you need 

• Posted

Hi on yes three years some people I know get seen quicker but not the case for me
    • Posted

I don't see the point? Are you in UK and talking about the NHS.

Do you mean clinical psychologist for counselling.

You wouldn't have to wait that long for a psychiatrist. They would triage you but you would see a member of the mental health team within a new weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.