How has your bunion surgery experience been so far?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a lapidus 3 wks ago and am non weight bearing for 6 weeks and have 1 plate and 6 screws in lft foot. needless to say being this immobile is very boring and i have gotten so much help and encouragement from this forum! im just curious to hear how some of you are doing in your recovery and maybe we can post some questions that can be answered by others on this site! my experience so far has been not great but i can now feel recovery getting closer and cant wait to walk and  drive and be normal again! my biggest obstacles lately have been not much range of motion in my foot it is basically stuck in a relaxed position and is hurting my heel. heel pain and under the foot burning is the worst.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all

i gather you three are the other side of the pond, 

i was heel walking 15 hours after the op, and continued throughout the 6 weeks in those wonderful darcos, first weeks with crutches, but as I improved with none.

walkng bare foot about 5 weeks, from bathroom to bedroom (shhh don't tell anyone) and in Velcro sandles from 6 weeks, driving the car at 7 weeks and back to work, could walk 5 miles at 16 weeks, but very slowly, it was only then, I felt that I was on the way to recovery. After 6 months you'll forget the bleak horrible moments that you're thinking now (it's very normal) and the revenge that you're planning on your surgeon. 

Keyhole for lapidus - no way, maybe for some other type of surgery, but not that one.

from your postings, I think I just might have been the lucky one to just have bandages for 2 weeks, then a light weight splint, although I did quite fancy a pair of boots....

keep in there, you've quite a journey to finish, at 10 months on I'm still travelling.

caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.