How helpful is Hypotonic Nebuliser treatment?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. Recently had my first treatment of Hypotonic solution. Didn't like the extreme saltiness in my mouth, but would try and persist with it if it proved helpful. Have been given a Nebuliser on loan for three months but will need to buy my own after that if I wish to continue. I don't mind this at all. But would like to know the opinion of others on this forum as to its effectiveness. Many thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I use a salt pipe for 15 minutes every day and find it helps me, especially if I use it just before doing my breathing technique for huffing up any phlegm. I guess this is different to what you have used but I do believe the salt helps to ease the congestion on the lungs.

• Posted

Thank you Dancing Queen for your opinion. Will google "salt pipe" to see how it compares to nebuliser. But I think they must serve the same basic function. This encourages me to be open minded and give it a good try!

• Posted

I use a nebulizer on a daily basis though with various Rx meds rather than a saline solution. nebulizer treatments can be very helpful, and had i just stuck with at least one daily treatment from when it was 1st prescribed 11 years ago, maybe i wouldn't now have BX. C'est la vie.

It seems that nebulizers may be used more here in the States than in the UK, just from what I read here on this forum & over in COPD. No matter which med you use, they are helpful in clearing airways. I, too, use mine before doing airway clearance regimens, as directed by my pulmo.

• Posted

Thank you aitarg for your input. I think I need to give it a good try!
    • Posted

I have used a 3 percent saline in my nebulizer for a year. I wish I had known about it sooner. It's been very helpful. At first the salt bothered me, but a small it's a small sacrifice for some relief. Now it only bothers me if I increase to 7 percent.

• Posted

Yes Robyn, I believe it was the 7% saline that I had. I thought the choice was  that or nothing. Good to hear that it helps but also that I can request a lower concentration. Keep well!
    • Posted

All nebulizer dispensers are not created equal and that may be part of the unpleasant problem y'all are having with saline (aside from the inate knowledge that swallowing saltwater =an emetic). I always ask to bring home any tube/mask/mouthpiece when given a treatment in doc's ofc or hospital since they get thrown away otherwise. One mouthpiece in particular deposited vast amounts of meds into my mouth. It came with my 1st nebulizer long ago & got thrown out. There are also masks which up til now I only accepted when in hospital post surgery. But I'm bored with holding the mouthpieces so I'm going to get some masks, and I think there will be far less med in my mouth.

Always gargle fiercely & spit that out after neb treatments, especially saline &/or steroid treatments.

• Posted

Thanks aitarg again. Is it possible to ask for a mask as opposed to a mouthpiece? I think it would be far easier to tolerate.
    • Posted

If you're in the States, definitely. I don't know about elsewhere. They are available through some medical supply bricks & mortar stores, and online. As far as I know they only come in 2 sizes, juvenile & adult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.