How HSV2 Encephalitis has affected me.

Posted , 2 users are following.

In November 2005 I woke with severe head pain and later that day was admitted to hospital with a suspected migraine, even though I had never previously suffered with migraine.

When I arrived at the hospital by ambulance I was in agony in my head and severely photophobic. I was also feeling like I wasnt properly connected with what was going on around me.

I was given an injection of antibiotics and some pethadine after an injection to rid me of migraine had failed and taken to a ward.

The following day I was given a CT scan but that showed no abnormalities so a lumbar puncture was performed. The lumbar puncture was unsuccesful in obtaining any spinal fluid so was repeated seven hours later. At this point my state of connciousness was significantly altered and I thought I was being tortured. I was in a great deal of pain and extremely distressed.

That day the doctor began treating me with ayciclovir via a drip. This was given three times a day.

For several days I felt no improvement and the pain in my head was not subsiding. I could barely move, speak or cope with light.

My daughter was told I may well not survive... I was only 38 years old.

Four days later another lumbar puncture was performed under sedation as I was too distressed to go through it whilst awake. When I woke from the sedation I found the pain in my head had gone... it appears that the small amount of fluid taken in the lumbar puncture had relieved the pressure in my brain. It felt like a huge relief.

It was at this point I became aware of how slow my body was to move and everything made me exhausted. My speech was also slow and at times laboured.

After my treatment with the aciclovir had finished I was sent home. I had no support and had to struggle to refer myself to social services and the aquired brain injury team at a nearby hospital. I also refered myself to headway devon who now help me with weekly outreach and i also attend their day centre in my area. I now have home help three times a week and without this support i dont think i would be able to cope alone.

I always need someone with me if i have to attend the hospital or other meetings as i will not remember what has been said so someone takes notes to me to refer back to.

I was very weak when i first came home from hospital and slept for long periods. I was very depressed at this point as i felt that if this was how my life was going to be then i wish i had just died.

I was told that this would improve and even though i didnt feel i would... i did.

I can now stay awake all day if i am having a good day but i do find fatigue a big problem. If i am not having a good day i can find it hard to stay awake... on days like this my speech can also be affected as well as my motor co ordination.

Memory is also a problem... most of my memories concerning my children from before my injury have gone. This can be quite distressing but i am learning to just accept it now.

If i had to give one message to anyone who has recently survived Encephalitis then it would be this.... DONT GIVE UP.... IT WILL IMPROVE.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I have not had a diognosis of encephalitis as yet, but all the signs point that way. Thanks to kind people like yourself for reassurance. all the best..
  • Posted

Hi.  I have not had a diognosis of encephalitis as yet, but all the signs point that way. Thanks to kind people like yourself for reassurance. all the best..
    • Posted

Hello Ian

No matter what happens, keep fighting!  Take just one day at a time and rest rest rest.

I will be sending positive thoughts and gentle hugs to you.

Be strong in your resolve my friend

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.