How I cured my acid reflux, naturally.

Posted , 202 users are following.

Hi:  It seems like there are many more people suffering from acid reflux than ever before.  Professionals offer only medications and surgery.  I have suffered from acid reflux on and off for some 20 years.  After much research and meditation on how the esophageal sphincter functions, I discovered a low cost solution.  Two or three times a day I drink orange flavored carbonated mineral water.  After drinking it, I hold back the burp for 3 to 5 minutes, sometimes longer.  Then burp the air out.  Make sure to always do this right before bed.  This forces the esophageal sphincter to work hard to hold down the increasing air pressure.  It is the only way to strengthen this muscle.  After nearly 2 years of nexium,  I am now completely off acid blockers and only take a sip of water with sodium bicarbonate before bed, just for protrection. Please try this and let me know if you also find relief from acid reflux.  I hope you do.  Regards, John

34 likes, 866 replies

866 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I found relief with from acid and reflux from taking

Milk Thistle Complex tablets, also available in liquid form.

Combination of Milk Thistle, Artichoke, Dandelion, Peppermint and Boldo. By A Vogal. after two months of these, none needed for four years now.

Diet fairly healthy low fat, cut down on carbs, still eat and drink everything sociably - (weekends).

I think if I still suffered I would try a remedy someone else found worked for UC in their family.

Turmeric capsules (most important) for the gut

Bee propolis ( immune system)

Echinacea (check it's ok to use with other meds) general well being 

Multivitamins - as it says on the tin

Fish oil tablets. 

You might want to give it three months and really do make sure you Persevere but I found a difference by 1 month

• Posted

Hi gillian: Thanks for your information and research.  I hope you are feeling well.  John
  • Posted

I am well now, thanks. 😀 I just keep an eye open now and again, on what works for different people. (Mother had U.C. Father had Bowel Cancer.)

I hope to avoid both. 

• Posted

Why I like your premise behind this, would the LES not need time to heal?  Such as, if someone were overweight, the pressure on the LES would be almost constant, thus never allowing it to heal.  Also, I would think it would take more than 2 days to strengthen a muscle.  I like the idea though.

What about this:

What if a person were to eat sort of a heavy meal once every other day or so, and then the next day eat, like half as much, reducing the pressure on the LES allowing it to re-heal stronger? 

• Posted

Hi Eric:  In my opinion, I don't think eating exercizes the LES.  Over eating may raise the level of acid right up to the LES, like filling a bottle to the top.  The carbonated water allows you to put upward pressure on the LES without any acid touching it, and reinjuring it.  I believe that this is the only way to strengthen the LES.  Otherwise, doctors can only suggest surgery.  Which often only lasts a few years before weakening again.  And surgery has its own list of bad side effects, such as not being able to swallow properly or burp.  The carbonated water is just another option.
    • Posted

That's a good point about the acid re-injuring it from food. I would like to try this carbonation trick, but right now I think I may have a hiatal hernia and esophagitis (the hernia most likely caused by coughing from reflux into the lungs causing asthma), so I wouldn't be able to have carbonation just because of the esophagitis getting irritated.  I'm on Nexium 1 pill a day, and I seem to be improving, but I certainly don't want to take it for life.  Maybe another a week or so, and I'll taper off the Nexium for a week and give this a try.  

Did you take any days off in between "exercising" the LES and not drink the carbonation to allow it to "re-heal" strengthened?  Thanks.

• Posted

I try to do this every day.  I think my LES is weak or has some problem that reverts to weakness.  So I may have to continue this for a long time.  But, its worth it.  My esophegus was getting so injured at night that every morning I was nauseated just from drinking water.  And my stomach was sore from taking Nexium.  I was very sick all the time.  Now, I just feel a bit sore in my stomach in the morning because my stomach makes acid while I sleep.  So I am working on that now.  Hopefully, without Nexium, as it took four tries to get off Nexium. Rebound acid.
  • Posted

Hi did any of you suffering from acid refulx and/or a hiatus hernia find that your symptoms come and go. For instance when I first had symptoms it was roughly this time last year. I had an exam that week and 3/4 days before I had a glass of wine when I was out at dinner next day I could not eat a thing. My throat felt inflammed but I had no cough or cold. When I ate something there was a sever pain in my chest at first I thought maybe just a bad hangover but my parents sat with me at dinner I could not finish it and they just watched me practically cry my way through the pain. I desperately wanted to eat but physically could not I went to the doctors out of curiousity as I really do not like any fuss. He gave me omiprazole to take incase it was an ulcer along with gaviscon and a drink of some kind. Nothing helped I lived with hit for 5 days I believe and then it just went so when I saw my gastrologist he did not understand what was wrong. I wen tout clubbing on tuesday woke up yesterday feeling the usual sickness and now today my throat is again feeling swollen, tight chest no appetite. Honestly I am not stressed about my next exam now, always happens at exam time. I have had no sign of acid reflux for a year and here it is again. I have taken my omiprazole today and also a rantidine tablet. Anyone know how to help? WIll your solution help with this John or did you not have this symptom?
    • Posted

My symptoms were not that severe.  My symptoms were progressively worsening.  Have you had an endoscopy? If so, what did they see?  I'm leaning toward an ulcerated esophegus.  Possibly triggered by alcohol.  But, the root cause could be acid reflux or H.Pylori.
  • Posted

Wondering what you think about this idea john03683 & emrose2.  I have had a recent major flare up, and I wonder if it is more than coincidence that it has occurred following more major dental issues - I get really stressed when facing dental treatment even tho I am not thinking about it, worrying about it, dwelling on it at all.  It's almost as if the stress is at a physiological / cellular level and now by-passes the cognitive worry level - I 'know' in my head that the dental treatments aren't that big a deal but my body hasn't 'got it' yet.  So I'm wondering if that could be the case for emrose.  I was aware when during previous more severe episodes in what has bcome an ongoing condition, that I brace my tummy quite a lot of the time, and logic would tell me that would 'squeeze' the contents upwards.  And also science tells us that when we are stressed, our digestive system becomes much less active, less blood flow to it etc, so less is going to be flowing through the system.

I have yet to find a solution to this 'unconscious' stress but am considering hypnosis.  Am also going to try your recommendation john03683 as soon as I get to town and by some carbonated mineral water. 

Would be really interested to hear what you think. 

• Posted

You are right, many things can cause acid reflux.  This used to be called acid indigestion.  So, maybe your father would have said he has acid indigestion because of stress ( boss is a jerk, he is being audited by the irs, etc).  It can also be a side offect of a drug, that was my situation.  Like you mentioned, when you're stressed, you can feel it in your stomach.  Like it's tied up in knots.  So, the stomach may actually be squeezed or spasming.  It is best if a person can remove the stress, but that is usually not possible.  Perhaps, as you suggested, we can change our thinking so we do not react as much to the stress.  But, whatever the cause, I do believe that a stronger esophageal sphincter will benefit everyone who has this condition.  The truth is, the longer you have this condition, the more permanent damage is done to the esophageal sphincter.  This carbonated water exercise will only help if a person can get their esophageal sphincter to seal and hold down the pressure.  If the pressure does not build up, then the esophageal sphincter may have a growth on it or Barrett's Esophagus has begun.  John
    • Posted

Just remind me about how to do the carbonated water exercise, please
    • Posted

john thank you for sharing but i am a little concerned that you are telling people 

'If the pressure does not build up, then the esophageal sphincter may have a growth on it or Barrett's Esophagus has begun'. how do know what is stopping it ?what about hyatus hernias? there could loads of reasons and it is for the medical peeps to find this out surely. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.