How I cured my acid reflux, naturally.

Posted , 202 users are following.

Hi:  It seems like there are many more people suffering from acid reflux than ever before.  Professionals offer only medications and surgery.  I have suffered from acid reflux on and off for some 20 years.  After much research and meditation on how the esophageal sphincter functions, I discovered a low cost solution.  Two or three times a day I drink orange flavored carbonated mineral water.  After drinking it, I hold back the burp for 3 to 5 minutes, sometimes longer.  Then burp the air out.  Make sure to always do this right before bed.  This forces the esophageal sphincter to work hard to hold down the increasing air pressure.  It is the only way to strengthen this muscle.  After nearly 2 years of nexium,  I am now completely off acid blockers and only take a sip of water with sodium bicarbonate before bed, just for protrection. Please try this and let me know if you also find relief from acid reflux.  I hope you do.  Regards, John

34 likes, 866 replies

866 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i will try this one out 

does anyone have dull chest pain with this anoying desease 

• Posted

Yes I do and it moves into the throat and back also.

• Posted

Hi Yvonne

I read your post about the chicory and wanted to know where do you buy yours from? I have gastritis and gerd (hiatial hernia) . I've been dealing with this for 6 months now..ive been mainly concentrating on healing the lining of stomach. I get better briefly but then start all over again. Not to mention I'm in perimenopause, all symptons were brought on by peri. How are you still doing taking the chicory?

• Posted

Hello John, I really appreciate your advice and will try sparkling water from trader joes but which brand do you use? I have been suffering from acid reflux for 3 years. I am not currently on any medication except Calcium citrate powder at night. I have been on and off Prilosec for some time. This time however I took one 20 mg per day for 4 days but stopped due to dangers of PPI. I am scared that I might now be suffering from cancer due to my symptoms. I am now experiencing popping in my ear when I swallow, painful and stiff tongue, swollen lymph nodes under neck, ear pain every now and then. I don't currently have health insurance due to previous unemployment. I am really scared because this isgetting out of hand. I am considering going back on ppi in hopes that it might save my life. I prefer to lose my stomach acid than to die from cancer. I also only experience reflux when I lay flat, I try not to but I slide off the wedge and sometimes even forget to use it. I will try the sparkling water but please tell me of a good brand??
    • Posted

Hi Nimbus22, This may sound silly, but try eating an apple for the reflux. Avoid milk and milk products if you can as it creates too much mucus, though a drop in tea or coffee won't do much harm. 

• Posted

HI, yes I have heard of apple.  Also kiwi and pineapple lowers acid.  It sits well with me.  Chewing gum really helps me too quite drastically!

I dropped off tea and coffee though - read that was a huge no no.

But for a coffee lover try Camp coffee made with chickory which contains inulin and is a natural acid suppressor.  Hope this helps.

G.

• Posted

Hi Nimbus:  You can use Trader Joes brand, I have used many brands with good results.  I was able to get rid of my wedge using this method.  You need to start doing this right away.

Anyone with a weak esophageal sphincter needs to prevent acid aspiration.  Anything coming up from the stomach and being inhaled can stop breathing.  It's very dangerous.

If you can, stick to antacids.  PPi drugs are habit forming and can cause many other problems.  Can you raise the head of your bed 7 or 8 inches?  It can prevent the sliding down and falling off the wedge problem, which only makes things worse.

If you need to use an acid blocker and have access to Walmart, try using this chewable tablet called Equate Complete Dual Action Berry Flavor Acid Reducer, it is very mild and has fewer side effects.  I use this now for night time protection or if I get the occational stomach burn.  I can break it into four pieces and just use one piece per night.

I don't have reflux anymore but I still have gastritis which makes my stomach feel burny occationally.

Gaviscon comes in liquid or tablets and has a protective effect to stop acid from going up the esophagus.

It would be good if you could focus on this problem while you are not employed because this issue can be disabling and it is more difficult to treat when a person is working.

Keep in touch.  John

• Posted

Hi john , you know you said 3 times A day you drank sparkling water .. Was that 3 bottles worth or just one bottle that you would drink . I've started doing it today and I'm on my third bottle but keep needing a wee 😂
    • Posted

Just drink 10oz of carbonated water or seltzer, and sit down and relax.  You need to be focused because we naturally will burp, but don't burp.  It may feel uncomfortable at first, because the sphincter muscle is getting a workout.  Do this 4 times a day and once before bed for 5 minutes.  Work up to 20 minutes per session.  You will notice a difference in a few days, but it may take 30 days before the  sphincter is back to normal.  When you can lay flat without any reflux then you can reduce down to one session per week. 
    • Posted

Well my test didn't go too well . I found that when I did finally burp my throat was killing I think it's the acid coming up in the burp .. It's still sore now 😢😢. I don't actually reflux I think it is just vapours
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you got that reaction.  But, your throat should not be that sensitive.  I think you have silent reflux, and your esophagus is already sore from the nighttime acid. 

If you want to try again, go a bit slower.  On an empty stomach, just drink 6oz of carbonated water.  Hold down the burp for 5 minutes. Then make sure you are in a sitting position when you burp.  And just try to release the burp slowly with no noise. Just do this once per day to start, until your esophagus heals up. 

If you are sleeping in a flat position, you should elevate the head of your bed 8 inches or sleep on a wedge.

Keep me updated. 

• Posted

What about chickory coffee - I have just started on that, it contains inullin and is an acid reducer.
    • Posted

I tried the chickory coffee and do not think it is a substitute for coffee.  But it is healthy and I would agree to recommend it.
    • Posted

Am I correct in remembering not to do this if u have a HH. - I have as reflux esophagitis and my throat now hurts so looking like silent reflux

I take 150 Zantac am and from doc and use Madtic gum b4 bed.

Raised bed 6" and 3 pillows - any thoughts appreciated - the throat I can't seem to shift.

Thanx

G.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I have just tried to msg Jonothan and it has gone to be moderated - I don't understand why - pls explain

Thank you.

• Posted

It is entirely up to you if you want to try it for a few days.  Start out with small amounts,  Maybe 4oz per session.  If it causes too much distress then maybe it won't work.  From my research HH is a problem of the diaphram moving too low and allowing the top of the stomach to bulge above it.  In the old days they would drink a tall glass of water and then bounce up and down like on a small trampoline, until gravity pulled the stomach back down into place.  Perhaps the carbonated water would force the diaphram back up into place.  I have basically experimented my way back to health.  I started off 3 years ago with 5 major issues, now I'm down to one.  So for me it did help.  I was being pussed toward surgery but I was able so far to avoid any.

• Posted

correction:

I was being pushed toward surgery but I was able so far to avoid any.

• Posted

Thanx for that.  I have just started an exercise I found on line like what you mention.  I drink a glass of water and then bounce up and down on my heels for a count of 20 and then deep pant out for 20.

On the chickory coffee, I have had to stop drinking it, it started hurting my throat and by chance came across a smoothie informati8on site and what not to use in combination.  It mentioned inulin (which is in the coffee) and said it is a culprit for digestion issues, it is a natural prebiotic sweetner and it ferments in the gut!!!!!!  So now that is out, thought I would menton it in case anyone tries it and finds it bothers them.  It is such a pain trying to manage this. 

I am going to try flaxseed tea for my throat as has been suggested, if anyone has anything they think can help the silent reflux, please let me know, either on this board or privately. 

I have bought several things this week to try, but I know I can say what they are on here.

Jonathan - you obviously have researched this fully and am really glad to hear how you are healing.  Can I ask you what you eat diet wise.  Some days a food sits very well and other days it hurts.  My food diary is all over the place.

Thank you for any feedback - really appreciated.

G.

• Posted

I really am bad about staying on a special diet or keeping track of what bothers me.  Because some days spagetti will bother me but other days it's fine.  But, I always have some probiotic yogurt first thing every day.  Then about an hour later lunch.  I am starting to believe that there are many differnt bad bacterias that can cause some of these digestive issue. 

Silent reflux can be agrivated by excess gas production.  If a person gets some bad bacteria growing then they put out gas as a by product.  When a person is lying flat the gas can build up in the small intestine and stomach and force it way through the esophagreal sphincter, pushing acid out with it. 

I will occationally take Pepto Bismol just to kill out all my bacteria and then start over with yogurt.  I know that sounds bad, but it does work for me.

• Posted

Thanx J - it all helps - maybe I have bad bacteria, not thought of that.

G.

• Posted

Hi Nancy:  There is a small percentage of people that have the conditiion of the esophageal sphincter being too tight.  I could not even find the name of the condition, it is so rare.  Some people who have had fundoplication procedures have have this condition and can no vomit if they get sick.  The air has to go somewhere so it could go through the whole digestive system and out as passed gas.

What are you symtoms?

• Posted

Hi Nancy: This thread is getting very long and some of these comments get lost in the jumble.

There is a small percentage of people that have the conditiion of the esophageal sphincter being too tight.  I could not even find the name of the condition, it is so rare.  Some people who have had fundoplication procedures have have this condition and can no vomit if they get sick.  The air has to go somewhere so it could go through the whole digestive system and out as passed gas.

What are you symtoms?

• Posted

Lpr mucous hoarseness I'm getting your reply in my email but they r coming up blank

• Posted

You should incline your bed 8 inches to help keep the acid down.  This is still the best method.  You may want to try a different carbonated water, some don't have much fizz and they go flat quickly when opened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.