How I fixed my BV!

Posted , 10 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I've been suffering from BV for the past 2.5 years (I first started noticing symptoms during the summer of 2015). I've tried a couple home remedies here but have always been wary of antibiotics as I've read other women have had bad experiences/the BV comes back stronger.

Fortunately I didn't experience pain as a symptom of my BV, but my discharge did change consistency and my the odor coming from my vagina was unbearable. I'm a very hygenic person - shower everyday, always wash hands, brush multiple times a day, etc; so my BV caught me off guard as I was definitely making sure to follow all protocol for cleaniliness down there. I never used any soaps and always made sure I wore cotton underwear.

The original consistency of my discharge was a bit thicker and white (almost mucus like). I would have discharge every now and then, but it wasn't a common occurrence for me. However, after getting BV, the consistency of my discharge became completely clear (water like) and happened all day everyday. At the end of everyday, my panties were damp from the amount of discharge and my vagina had a horrible smell all together. It was so embarassing because the smell was definitely extremely strong and I was always conscious coworkers could smell it or that my ex would be able to smell it. It destroyed my sex life because of the self consciousness.

My first attempt to get rid of the itching/smell was dipping a tampon in plain yogurt and leaving it in for a couple of hours before washing out etc. Although this subsided the itching, the smell was still quite strong and my BV came back immediately after stopping the yogurt.

I then bulked up on my water intake and diet to make sure my body was essentially cleansed and that it wasn't a stomach issue, but this didn't help anything either.

I tried apple cider vinegar and baking soda but effects from both only lasted as long as my usage of the products, the BV came back almost immediately after.

After doing extensive research, I finally read about using coconut oil to help treat BV. Whether that meant adding it to your diet or applying it directly to the V. I'm not sure why I never thought of it before as coconut oil is known to be anti bacterial and it's an oil I always keep around at home.

*Please note that I'm still in the process of using the coconut oil and have not currently stopped using it. I will be sure to update with results after I've stopped using it al together.

My first night of using coconut oil was soaking a tampon thoroughly in coconut oil and making sure a good amount of product is applied before inserting it for about 2 hours. I did this when I got home for work and removed the tampon before I went to bed. The itching in my vagina stopped about 10 minutes after inserting the tampon - it's like I could feel the oil slowly work it's magic. When I took it out before I went to bed, I didn't smell the terrible odor my vagina has (though I initially attributed this to the coconut oil covering the smell).

The second day, I followed the same process in the morning and removed my tampon at work after it was in for a couple of hours. I then did the same thing at night and removed the tampon before I went to bed. I did it twice a day, and have been following this schedule thus far.

My itching has not come back since using the oil and the terrible smell from my vagina has gone away completely. I don't believe it's just the coconut oil masking the smell because I only have the tampon in for about 4 hours total in a day. The majority of my day goes without one and the smell doesn't reappear. It also doesn't come back after I shower.

In the past, it would only take about 10 minutes for the smell to come back after showering etc. I also tested whether the smell was present when I was turned on (as this is when my vaginal odor was at its strongest) and it did not come back. My discharge also smelled normal slowly went back to my original consistency (yay!!!).

Though I'm still following this process, I will be slowing myself off it and will update this post after a few weeks to see where I stand with my BV. However, this is the first time in a long time I've actually felt that my vagina has been "clean" (even though I am hygienic). I can feel that it's healthier than it's been the past couple of years.

If you haven't yet, please try coconut oil as it's an amazing life saver! I also use the oil to refine the shine in my hair or as a moisturizer to make my skin glow smile it's honestly a miracle oil

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing! I hope that your struggle with BV ends there.
    • Posted

Thanks!! Haven't had any issues with smell or itching today either so I'm thinking the oil is doing its job! Let's see smile

• Posted

I want to try this method! May I ask where you can buy the coconut oil? Also, are you supposed to dilute it before dipping the tampon in?
    • Posted

You can get it at almost any grocery story! I was at Costco today and found a large container of it. You should also be able to find it Walmart or Target and if all else fails GNC or Amazon are definitely options!

I didn't dilute the coconut oil but my recommendation would be to make sure that the coconut oil is all natural and doesn't have any preservatives. I also realized that because tampons themselves have chemicals in them, using a tampon to insert the oil may not be the best idea. If you're totally comfortable with it that's def fine - I just didn't want to take a risk since I need to find the root of the problem anyways. So instead I'd recommend making coconut oil suppositories by putting the oil in ice trays, freezing it, and then inserting in vaginally.

In terms of progress, the itching did come back after I stopped using (but I only kept it up for about 5 days and my diet and habits were terrible.) I cut out sugar and have been eating yogurt and lots of water now and hbd restarated using the oil. I think a combination of everything should be a big help and push to get rid of the BV!

• Posted

I found some at Walmart! I'm going to start trying it this week. Thank you so much, I'll definitely take your recommendation of freezing it in ice trays. Thank you again!!

• Posted

So its been 8 months since u posted this. How are your symptoms now? I just started the coconut oil 2 nights ago and i am starting to feel Ahhhhmazing. Im also taking vitamin c, folic acid, and a whole bunch of 7 strain probiotics. I hope im not speaking too soon and time will tell but today is the first day i had no icky smell. AT ALL. Fingers crossed this works because the meds the drs gave me didnt.
  • Posted

Was this the cure you had hoped for?  Wondering if it did the trick!
    • Posted

Im not sure lol. Ive had 2 different drs tell me i dont have bv. No discharge. No itching. But sometimes i notice an odor. I know something isnt right because i have never had any smell down there before ever in my life. But that fishy smell is there. They just say to use unscented baby wipes when i wipe and bathe regularly. Duh. However the coconut oil did alleviate the smell before. I used it last night. Its not pungent and i only smell it if i touch myself (tmi but it needs to be said) they just tell me that as u get older your body changes and its something women deal with. I call bulls**t but whatever. So evidently ive been bv free since December according to them. If that is the case then my cure was the metronidazole. But routine maintenance cant hurt. Probiotics, vitamin c, folic acid, cranberry and acv pills are something i take every morning.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Make sure that's what that is. I had bv. I never itched with bv. Not saying it can't be a symptom but rule out other things. I had itchy, smelly vag. Thought it was my herpes except I didn't smell with herpes usually. Went to get tested and it ended up being Trichomoniasis. An sti. It's a parasite.

• Posted

I had BV for about a week. My only symptoms were the increased discharge and odor and that was enough to drive me crazy! I also thought of the antibacterial properties of coconut oil and dipped a tampon in organic coconut oil and inserted it. I used just the bottom end of an applicator to make sure it was well inserted. I did leave it in longer than I intended which ended up being about 7 hours. It has now been about three days and I have no odor or abnormal discharge. Everything is back to normal down there! I will probably do this again in the next couple days just as a precaution and just because I agree with you that this is a great oil for health period! Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope that you see positive results! Also you may consider visiting a holistic health professional or holistic healer if you are against antibiotics. They no the benefits and properties of various natural approaches.
  • Posted

Hello ladies! I’m new to BV.. but I’m OVER IT. I believe it all kicked off after a new antibiotic prescribed for a UTI last fall... my question is -how are you managing your sex life with BV? I miss how much I was having sex before BV, and no matter how long my fiancé and I abstain, it always comes back quickly after several times a week and consistent ”pull outs.” I was treated with antibiotics for BV last month (it’s back) and have had the mirena IUD since Nov 2016, which may also be a factor? Who knows... gah! But! Are you continuing to be active or is that out of the question?  

• Posted

Hi there, sadly the merina coil is likely to be the suspect for your BV, apparently it’s something to do with the hormones in it. I had the same problem sad
    • Posted

Them iuds will gove you constant ones. That's your body trying to rid it. Basic science. Your body constantly troes fighting foreign objects. Also, evrn copper iud will do that. The one that's supposedly non hormonal but copper isn't good. And all iud are made woth barium . Look what barium can do with prolonged exposure. And what copper can do with prolonged exposure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.