How I healed Pityriasis Rosea

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to come on here and discuss how I healed my Pityriasis Rosea rash in two weeks. My boyfriend noticed a dry, red oval spot on my upper back on Nov 1, three days later on Nov 4, I started to notice small, red, oval spots on my stomach. As the week went on more started to appear on my stomach, sides and back. I started to worry, so on Nov 6, I made an appointment to see my doctor. As soon as she saw the spot on my back (known as the Herald Patch), she diagnosed me with Pityriasis Rosea right away. She told me it was due to a viral infection and that it was a self-limiting rash, which means it has no treatment and goes away on its own in 4-6 weeks. She said the only thing I could do was treat the itchiness with oatmeal baths and Benadryl. I'm a nurse, so I immediately went home and started to research Pityriasis Rosea. I came across a number of research articles that showed some evidence for the use of anti-virals if taken at the beginning stages when viral replication is at its highest. So, I had a friend of mine, a NP, write me a prescription for Valtrex, which I started taking on Nov 8. I took 1000mg twice a day for seven days. At this point, more spots were appearing on my stomach and back, some even appeared on the back and sides of my neck and I told myself I would not let it spread to my arms and legs. The same day I started the Valtrex, I went to the pharmacy and bought two boxes of Aveeno Oatmeal bath, Calamine lotion, Benadryl, vitamim C supplements, vitamin D supplements and vitamin B supplements. I took 2000mg of vitamin C daily, 20ml of vitamim B daily and 1000mg of vitamin D daily. I took an oatmeal bath twice a day, in the morning and at night, and I put calamine lotion on twice a day. I took a Benadryl at bedtime to help me sleep without feeling itchy. Today is Nov 16, exactly two weeks and one day from the day my boyfriend noticed the herald patch and my rash is 90% healed. It stopped itching last week and started to fade, all spots are now a very light pink, fading into the colour of my skintone. I cant tell you for certain which remedy worked, but I truly do believe that the Valtrex is what stopped the rash from spreading on my back, stomach, sides and chest to the rest of my body (like my arms and legs) because I started it when viral replication was at its peak. I also believe that the other supplements helped to kick my immune system into gear and start fighting off the virus.

This rash truly does make you feel awful everytime you look in the mirror, but there are certainly ways to speed up the healing process. Dont be discouraged!

I will write an update once all spots have disappeared.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.