How I helped my IBS symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

My first post on this board!

For the past 25 years or so I have suffered badly with IBS and past year had become a lot worse to the point I got so anxious when I had to use public transport in case I needed the toilet that I was starting to get panic attacks.   ISB tablets just masked the problem and most of the time didn’t work so I had to take a serious look at my food intake as would be first to admit it was terrible, with junk food, satuated fats etc.

So have cut out the following and oh my word, the difference is amazing!  I can actually travel to places now and no longer have griping pains, wind and need to be constantly near a toilet

Things I’ve cut out

Sunflower oil – funnily enough this was a major problem, noted by after eating Walkers crips with high sunflower oil content had immediate stomach pains and cramping

Wheat/Gluten

Cakes/Biscuits/bread and everything that involves these types of carbohydrates and sugars

Most dairy/(incl horseraddish sauce)/cheese

Anything with high fat content (stomach unable to process which meant rush to the toilet)

You need to be strict with the diet as if you sneak in a small cake or something high fat then you’re back to square one again so needs a lot of will power but oh, is it worth it!   J

Understand everyone is different but this is what has worked for me and so wish i had done this sooner.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've had IBS for many years, in the past 5 years I've had bouts of severe pain across the top of my stomach, I also have diverticulitis / small hiatus hernia. I've learnt what I can eat, and like you I know what triggers an attack, walkers plain crisps are a big culprit, since stopped eaten them what a major difference, now on the odd occasion I get the pain, if I eat chocolate or any fried stuff, I still suffer with alot of wind, I can put up with the wind . I eat the same meals every day. The only biscult I can eat is rich tea, and sweets I eat drumstick sqashies which don't affect me.

• Posted

'WOW' liz..   This really is some useful info in regards to the foods I consume & struggle with IBS..  My GP only told me to avoid a short list of foods (none of which you have made known) THANKS hun x

• Posted

This sounds a lot like the 'IBD' diet.         

(It didn't work for us though unfortunately.)

You might want to look into her and similar recipe books.

Happy you found your triggers!

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Oh dear, I mentioned a book title,

there are IBD diets out there, main point: no grain products, no flour.

So your diet reminded me a lot of a certain book, that unfortunately didn't work for us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.