How I kicked Reflux and GERD after 14 years on and off.

Posted , 16 users are following.

My first run in with reflux was many years ago. I grew up on home cooked meals, but it wasn’t long before I started college and made the mistake of eating at McDonalds on the odd occasion during my lunch. That odd occasion is all it took for me to end up in hospital to have an endoscopy/biopsy because I was having severe pain under my rib cage. It turned out I had H Pylori Bacteria, the Dr said it was through eating undercooked meat. At the time, McDonalds was the only meat I had been eating, so I was pretty certain that is where I picked it up. A swift dose of antibiotics seemed to clear it up. But then I noticed after it cleared, that I started to get reflux on the odd occasion.

I didn’t think anything, and just dealt with it for many years after. I then started noticing it more and more. This is when I started researching about food, nutrition and this was the start of one of many changes in my diet. It has been a long 14 years, but I have finally kicked it.

I started by dropping pop, this was the first and biggest move I made. After years of research I started to realize that the diet I was eating was not good, it was lacking nutrition, was processed heavily with most nutrients being stripped. I started making gradual changes, over the years, but still noticed that the reflux would get bad. At one point I was popping acid reducers daily to ease the pain. Some nights I would literally stick my fingers down my throat to make myself vomit, as I couldn’t stand the pain, and just wanted to empty my stomach content.

I then jumped on the healthy buzz word bandwagon like many do. I wanted my junk food, but I started buying organic this and that, all natural, non-GMO, gluten free, added sea salt etc. After more years I realized that just because a food had these fancy buzz words the foods I was eating were still loaded with salt and refined sugars, I was also still eating highly processed foods, like out of a tin or microwaved etc.

In between this I went to hospital again for x-rays of my esophagus to determine if I had scarring, it came back all clear.

I took a great step and started juicing, after a while that switched to smoothies, because I was losing a lot of nutrition from the pulp. My next stage was buying a vegetable steamer.

It was at this time I started noticing the biggest changes. There were whole weeks I would go by without reflux, and then I would get it bad again. I didn’t understand as I was eating fruit, and veg regularly.

I came to the conclusion, that if I was going to beat this I had to go full 100% or it will not work. I started making notes of which foods triggered the reflux. After about a year I finally got it down to what I could eat and not get reflux. It was basically vegetables, fruits and fish and chicken, some nuts and seeds.  

For some reason anything sugary, starchy or grainy was causing me to have reflux. I cut many more things out of my diet. Every now and then I’d slip and grab an organic, chocolate bar made with raw cane sugar, but I noticed every time I had a big dose of sugar, I was getting this lump in my throat. After a few days it would be gone again. Then I noticed if I ate a bag of pop-chips, the same. I came to the conclusion that sugar/starch was causing this. I quit my fruit smoothies for a short time to test this theory and low and behold the lump in my throat was gone, the reflux was completely gone.

According to a friend of mine who suffers with Crohns he thinks that my gut still had bad bacteria and that the bacteria is what was triggering the reflux and other issues. He mentioned that I could possibly have had a mild leaky gut syndrome, mainly because I also had chronic sinusitis along with my reflux. He also noted that the bad bacterium feeds off of sugar and starches. So I basically dropped myself on the GAPS diet and limited my sugar and starch intake by 99%. It is at this point that my reflux is now 100% gone. The lump in my throat is gone.

For the last 3 months I have only ate, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and some meat, and it’s completely cleared up. My sinuses are still come and go. But considering it has felt like I have had a cold for the past 14-15 years, it feels the best it has ever been.

Even though I am over joyed by my progress in the reflux department, I am even more pleased with the changes I feel since quitting eating sugar. This doesn’t include obviously my smoothies, any carbs or starch that convert to sugar. Just bread, rice and potatoes.  I’m not saying I will never eat these again, but just until I feel comfortable that my body is healed. I basically have cut the sugar, starch and carbs by I would guess 90%. When the refined sugar/starches stopped, I found I could think more clearly, my brain fog (another symptom I never mentioned) was gone. Better focus and mental clarity. I also noticed there are days when my sinuses clear up. At one point Dr’s wanted me to have surgery where they laser your turbinate’s, to reduce the inflammation. I also noticed I don’t get tired in the middle of the day or after my meal lunchtime. I have way more energy.

Anyway sorry this was a long post,  I just hope this helps at least one person who is suffering this crippling disease. It takes baby steps, but you can do it. But in all honesty if you stick to what nature has provided, i.e fruits, veg, some meats, nuts, seeds etc, you will find it goes. When you start eating the processed foods, the refined sugars, which have had all the fiber stripped, when you try to find that organic junk snack, you start getting problems. It’s just very sad that it has taken 14 years to get over this. Not one single Dr, I have ever visited was ever able to help me, other than push me onto more drugs.

Some things along the way that helped me with reflux are Apple cider vinegar, Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL). Vegetable Enzymes, Psyllium Husk Caps (fiber).

Thanks, I wish you all the best cool

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ricardo,

I suffer from ulcers and medium Oesophagitis even though I never get heartburn which is weird. While I am currently on PPI for 3 months to heal my ulcers I have taken a change in my diet. I was wondering have you tried the Kaufman diet? I do not want to cut out carbs since I will lost of weight. I am average weight but since i stopped eating before bed I already lost 5 pounds and I refuse to lose anymore since I am losing all the muscle growth I gained over the year. Just wanted to get your thoughts on what meats didnt bother you and some diet ideas.

• Posted

Vergil, i have not tried that diet, i'll look into it though. About meat. I have really never been a read meat eater, so i usually only eat chicken. I'll eat seafood though, like tuna or salmon, maybe some shrimp. To be honest meat has never really bothered my stomach. The only time it has in the past is at a bad resteraunt, which i dont go anymore. 99% of my food now is cooked at home. I take enzymes with most of my meals now. Not sure if i still need too, but just got in the habit. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Thanks SO much for explaining your process of discovery! It was fascinating to read how you figured out what worked for you.

I am looking into my current diet and lifestyle now thanks to your very helpful post!

• Posted

Hi I' having an xray in 2 months to check for scarring which may be causing my acid reflux. Is it painful, also did you drink something before you did the x-ray?
    • Posted

They will give you barium to drink before the xray. It's not too bad, just tastes like a really thick milkshake. Although not as tastey. Not to sound nasty, but your poop will be white for the next couple of days until it's all flushed out of your system. The whole process was harmless.

On another note, the scarring doesn't cause reflux, it's the other way around. The reflux can cause scarring. My only advice is basically in my initial post. Go back to eating only natural foods that are unprocessed, i.e fruits, veg, some meat and fish and you will get rid of the reflux. Trust me it works. Cut out the processed sugar, the high carbs, the excessive salt, dont buy tinned or frozen foods, which are just loaded with salt and your reflux issues will vanish. Good luck. I hope you get it all figured out.

• Posted

Yes i have acid reflux and I'm going to see if it caused any scarring since It's been getting worse.

Thanks for the information about the xray.

Thanks I'm trying to arrange my diet

• Posted

So pleased to hear you have kicked reflux Ricardo 007 

I decided to try the GAPS diet and am on day 4 of the introductory diet (mainly bone broths, chicken and fish stock and meat and fish).  Like you, in addition to reflux, I had “brain fog” (a busy feeling in the head where you can’t concentrate).  It is a horrible feeling and made me not want to talk to people.  Well, I am delighted that this has cleared up after only four days!

I do feel that the use of PPIs, ranitidine, antibiotics, motilium and gaviscon over the past 6 months may have damaged my gut and perhaps killed off good bacteria. 

Hopefully the GAPs will help with the reflux too!

• Posted

Hi Ricardo,  I have been dealing with acid reflux for the past 2 months.  Reading your post gave me hope!  I just started the Gaps diet about a week ago.  Did you start with the intro diet or the full diet.  Also i have this lump in my throat that just doesnt go away! I am having a very hard time swallowing...  Was that why you were taking DGL?  For the lump in your throat?

Thanks!

Poyraz

• Posted

hey dear thanks to hear you I am suffering like you but I have just reflux with out heart burn and what about your poop my poop is just like broken pieces and very gas also

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.