How I knew I had Depression and anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

It started when I was in Highschool I just broke up with this guy I dated for 3 months. I remember feeling devastated and I didn't know why. normally break-ups never affected me. Ever. but this one really did a number on me. It took me 2 years to get over that guy. and during those two years, I remember not being able to concentrate, I didn't socialize as much, I had low self-esteem and I hated going to school. I'm not saying this because I blame the guy for my anxiety or depression. we're friends now and I treat him like a bro. I'm just saying that such an event can actually affect a person who has anxiety depression. In my case, it runs in the family. I've been treating myself since I graduated high school and stopped for a year. I relapsed and it got worse so I went back to medication 2 years after. I'm now slightly better. I'm talking to my friends again. I'm not that social still but I'm doing better now because I couldn't stand being in a room filled with people before, even WITH my friends. I always wanted to go outside and breathe for some reason. Being in that room made me feel uncomfortable and I would choke under my breath. I could never understand why. I also have fears of being bipolar, having tumors, and even being slightly sick. Ironically though I also have dark thoughts I would not like to mention. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on life because of this "thing" and I hate it. 

Another thought. I tried taking off my meds again and it was a bad idea so I'm on day two of taking meds again.

I'd like to know some of your stories as well so I'd love it if you commented smile 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Glad you're getting to a better place again And on your meds.. What are you on?

My anxiety is health anxiety that hit me full force Christmas of last year. I had just had my son in October and didn't realize I was about to be hit hard with postpartum anxiety. I didn't even know it was a thing. This past February I ended up with pneumonia. For some reason, I suddenly became fixated on my heartrate. I refused to even sleep in my own apartment with my fiance, I HAD to sleep at my moms where I felt safe. After a ton of heart tests, they've told me i am healthy and there is nothing wrong with my heart. I'm on month 3 of my meds, I take buspar, and still have horrendous days, but I also have about ten good days in a row which is a record for me since December.

Like you, it runs in my family. I also need to go outside and be away from everyone to collect my thoughts and calm myself. That's ok though, at least were making the effort to be around people, even if we have to take some time away.

• Posted

I just had to reply to your post bc of you being treated with antibiotics and experiencing a rapid heart rate... I just went thru the same thing only I

Was on antibiotics for a kidney infection.. Within a

Few days of starting the med I began to have a

Really rapid heart rate .. To the point I went to the ER.. All the cardiac test were negative, the next day

I began having anxiety !! I called my MD and he ask me to come back in.. He explained to me that antibiotics can destroy our natural stomach flora

And the result of that can be a racing heart and or anxiety!! I couldn't believe it... I'd never heard of this and I'm a nurse!! When I got home I looked it up and he was right.

• Posted

Wow, really makes me wonder since it really did all start after my son, but when they had me on meds for pneumonia, pain pills and birth control. Hmm so is there anyway to get it to go back to normal or is it just stuck that way??
    • Posted

I honestly don't know, I was told by one psychiatrist that once our body's experience anxiety or panic

( regardless of its cause) that it will reoccur simply as a method to deal with stress. But I'm not sure. I know several ppl with severe panic and anxiety (to the point they rarely leave home) that have been anxiety/ panic free for a long time on medications

There definitely is hope !! It's just the struggle to

Discover what works best for you

• Posted

I'm on sertraline and lamictal with a little bit of xanor here and there. smile thankyou for commenting it helps to have people who understans

• Posted

Break ups can can have weird effects and sometimes hard to decern why they effect us like they do all the time. I was married just shy of 11 years and when it was over there was stress and depression for a while that required medical and therapist intervention. Then after I dated several people and the last person we dated dated for about 5 months and when we broke up it was extreme panic attacks. A lot to do with history etc.

Glad to see you are back on meds and helping yourself

B

• Posted

Thank you B. I'm doing better. smile I'm sorry about your marriage. sad maybe in the end we all find the thing that we're looking for you know? smile I'm positive about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.